Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What to do with the hole behind the license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 AM
PURAVIDA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to do with the hole behind the license plate?

So I took my front license plate bracket off last week and now there is that big hole between the bumper and the grille. I want to see pics of what you did with yours. Lights, winch, front 2" receiver maybe. I need ideas!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

I went to Home Depot, purchased a section of rain gutter cover, easily hand bent it flat and spray painted it black. Then easily cut it to fit into the lower opening and used four screws also painted black to mount it to the black plastic piece that Ford installed in that area. The mesh pattern matches the honeycomb pattern of my stock radiator grille. I did this to clean up the bottom, and also to provide some bug and stone protection against the transmission and engine oil cooler I installed in this area (perfect place to draw in cool air for these coolers). The cost was under 5 bucks for the rain gutter piece and the 4 screws.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 08-24-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:15 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a combo set grill that filled in the hole but I plan on getting ride of the set.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by XPerties
I bought a combo set grill that filled in the hole but I plan on getting ride of the set.

I'm guessing you bought this arangment from FOMOCO466 as well? Me too. I was impressed with his lower grill; it matches the Roush upper very well. I just got tired of the look, as every fifth or sixth truck that drove by me had this arrangement. I went back to a stock arrangement to gain the open lower grill again to help cool my transmission and engine oil cooler.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
I'm guessing you bought this arangment from FOMOCO466 as well? Me too. I was impressed with his lower grill; it matches the Roush upper very well. I just got tired of the look, as every fifth or sixth truck that drove by me had this arrangement. I went back to a stock arrangement to gain the open lower grill again to help cool my transmission and engine oil cooler.
Nah I actually bought the set for $120 on ebay. It's a overlay and I didn't know it until I got it so I attached it to my honeycomb grill and then cut everything out except what the overlay needed to be attached to that way you couldn't see that it was some cheap overlay.

My plans are to grab the roush chrome grill and then mount fogs in the lower part. I hate not having a bumper with fog lights and you're right....every truck has this setup.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XPerties
Nah I actually bought the set for $120 on ebay. It's a overlay and I didn't know it until I got it so I attached it to my honeycomb grill and then cut everything out except what the overlay needed to be attached to that way you couldn't see that it was some cheap overlay.

My plans are to grab the roush chrome grill and then mount fogs in the lower part. I hate not having a bumper with fog lights and you're right....every truck has this setup.
you paid $120 on ebay for an overlay, so pay $135 on ebay for a new bumper with the fog light inserts

Im buying the new bumper come spring when im out for summer
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 AM
PURAVIDA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to mention that I have the factory installed headlights. If not that's what would fill the hole. Unless I could attach more lights the the existing circuit? Would there be problems with too much power draw? Does anyone have a light bar mounted in there somehow? I've seen a few around and wonder where I could get one.

Last edited by rockymtnrider; 08-24-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockymtnrider
So I took my front license plate bracket off last week and now there is that big hole between the bumper and the grille. I want to see pics of what you did with yours. Lights, winch, front 2" receiver maybe. I need ideas!
Hello we had that issue,but now we have a grill insert in there it looks great,their is a video on you tube, of a grill desinged for my f150 ford platinum, Want honest feed back thinking manufacturing.See with the grill and with out
i hope this helps,
Old 10-22-2010, 06:16 AM
Mark

Received 2,421 Likes on 2,120 Posts

lower grill.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: What to do with the hole behind the license plate?