Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Vibration...parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration...parking brake?

I have a 2005 crew cab with about 50k miles. About a week ago, I got a vibration where the whole truck shook (wipers bouncing on the windshield). Pulled over (left engine running) and inspected, but found nothing. Started driving again and it was fine. Had the same problem a couple days later. Both days it happened, I had my emergency brake set and the vibration started withing 5 miles or so of driving. It happened on straight, flat roads. I had it happen again yesterday (did not have e-brake set) while on a straight section of highway. The second time, i heard a squeaking noise coming from the driver side rear. Could this be the problem with the e-brake locking up that I read on other posts? How difficult is it to check/correct? Any detailed instructions how to do it?

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded post.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever figure this out?

I have random shaking and I am pretty sure its the rear e brake sticking. Is there not a recall because the springs are not strong enough?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
RejectedReject

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not for sure but I would say yes. Next time this happens get out and feel the rear wheels be careful because if the e-brake is sticking they will be HOT! Mine has done this a few times. The ebrake is actually a drum brake setup on the inner part of the rotor but it's mechanical. If they are sticking you can get under the rig behind the rear tire and whack them free, it's easy to see the bracket the cable runs to, use a hammer a rock whatever you got. To fix the issue you need to remove the rear rotor and lube the crap outta everything inside. Use some quality brake lube and you will be golden.
The following users liked this post:
dkbush67 (09-04-2014)

Quick Reply: Vibration...parking brake?