Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck starts and immediately dies!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck starts and immediately dies!!!!!

Hopefully you guys can help with this so I was driving to the in laws for Christmas and I got off the highway to make a turn and the truck dies tried to start it and she was dead got a jump but ended up having to do that a few times so I had to powerstall it all the way to their house cause as soon as I left my foot off the gas she dies so I was hoping the battery but we charged it and she ran fine for 15 minutes outside till I tried to put it in drive tried to start it and the battery was dead put her dads battery on it and it’ll start and immediately die so it’s sitting at their house till I can tow it home any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-27-2023, 09:16 AM

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts

If you completely charge the battery you might be able to drive it home
Put a DVOM on the battery with it running and observe the voltage
It should be 13 or 14 volts with the engine running and not 11.98 or 12.31 indicating your alternator is shot
Test that
The following users liked this post:
1hurley17 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 10:55 AM

Received 1,137 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hurley17
Hopefully you guys can help with this so I was driving to the in laws for Christmas and I got off the highway to make a turn and the truck dies tried to start it and she was dead got a jump but ended up having to do that a few times so I had to powerstall it all the way to their house cause as soon as I left my foot off the gas she dies so I was hoping the battery but we charged it and she ran fine for 15 minutes outside till I tried to put it in drive tried to start it and the battery was dead put her dads battery on it and it’ll start and immediately die so it’s sitting at their house till I can tow it home any advice would be greatly appreciated
there is some fuzzy details here, but to me, I think you likely have an issue beyond just battery or alternator. Example; just the act of shifting from park to drive should not kill/change the battery. And no way it magically happened to die at same moment your shifter. Regardless, you really need to get a meter and obtain some real data

would suggest inspecting your major cables and their connections (at battery, at alternator and grounding connections.

get battery and alternator tested.

also: need to rule out the basics first, but I’m curious, if you let truck sit overnight (get totally cold), have battery fully charged, and then start in morning, will it run fine for a while before this problem/symptom starts again? And if so, does it occur when rpms drop down, and possibly when dropping and turning?
1hurley17 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 01:16 PM
2004 F150 5.4 Lariat

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I second the suggestion to get the battery and alternator tested. I'm guessing that what could be happening is that the battery is bad, or not ever getting charged enough to keep it running, and the alternator is only providing enough power when you have your foot on the accelerator. I'd be hoping it's just the alternator, but it could be both. Of course, make sure that the battery and alternator connections are clean and tight first.
1hurley17 (12-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Truck starts and immediately dies!!!!!