Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck dies out, while driving....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dies out, while driving....

First off, new to this forum.... Looks pretty cool.....

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with your F150 shutting off while driving?

Basically, this has happend twice. While driving 50 - 70 mph the truck dies out. A wrench appears on the dash and it says "check gauges". I let the truck roll to a stop. The motor will restart and the truck runs ok, until it happens again.

I had a friend check the computer and it had 4-7 errors codes on it. (4) of them were throttle body related and (3) of them were cylinder related (mis-fires, etc).

My mechanic buddy wants to replace the spark plugs - to start. I saw the posts on this site, with all the spark plug issues. So I called the dealer to check the price on getting that done. The cost wasn't horrible, HOWEVER the dealer did mention that the plugs would never make the truck just die out. Something else was causing that....
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the spark plugs are a large thing def get that fixed asap, and i have the same prob at low speed in reverse, i feel its due to the rev. your engine might get flooded than shut off before it gets to bad? just a guess.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by greekboy
First off, new to this forum.... Looks pretty cool.....

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with your F150 shutting off while driving?

Basically, this has happend twice. While driving 50 - 70 mph the truck dies out. A wrench appears on the dash and it says "check gauges". I let the truck roll to a stop. The motor will restart and the truck runs ok, until it happens again.

I had a friend check the computer and it had 4-7 errors codes on it. (4) of them were throttle body related and (3) of them were cylinder related (mis-fires, etc).

My mechanic buddy wants to replace the spark plugs - to start. I saw the posts on this site, with all the spark plug issues. So I called the dealer to check the price on getting that done. The cost wasn't horrible, HOWEVER the dealer did mention that the plugs would never make the truck just die out. Something else was causing that....
I have the same problem and its the Throttle body. I can tell you right now its not the TPS nor plugs. I forgot exactly the correct name for the part and I am sure someone on here knows the correct part name.

Mike
Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 PM

After reading the Ford TSB on the plugs. I've decided to let the dealer work on that. Too many special tools needed, if the plugs break. I guess, no matter what (with 103,000 miles), I should get that done first.

I can have my normal mechanic work on the rest of the issues. Hoping that I can narrow down the issues and get this resolved ASAP.

Snowmobile season is upon us, and the bulk of my driving is during the winter months.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mdunn are you talking about the throttle actuator?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:42 AM

Wouldn't you know...... Money solves pretty much anything

(1) Complete throttle body
(2) coils
(8) plugs
(8) plug boots
Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM

what did that run you?
i had replaces all 8 space plugs all 8 coils and had 3 plugs brake leaving me with a bill of $800 s if your under that u did ok
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by steve00
what did that run you?
i had replaces all 8 space plugs all 8 coils and had 3 plugs brake leaving me with a bill of $800 s if your under that u did ok
Thus far,

$420 for the TB
$220 for the (2) coils and (8) plug boots
$435 for the (8) plugs
$110 for the computer time

They have not told me if any broke or not (yet). Kind of sad, I guess there is a lot of trust on that, who really knows how many break??? I'm sure they have a bucket full of broken spark plugs to show all the pissed off customers.....
Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 AM

If the problem is still there after all the work you're having done, try the following: With the engine idling, parking brake set, transmission in park, open the passenger side kick panel to get to the fuse panel (assuming your truck is a model with the fuse panel in that location). Pull the cover off the fuse panel. Engine still running? If yes, push gently on the fuse panel box with your forefinger (push several directions). Engine still running? Reach around the side of the fuse panel box and push/pull gently on the wiring harness where it enters the fuse panel box. Engine still running? Get a buddy to do the fuse panel thing while you are driving down the road. If the engine stops as a result of any of the above, you have one of those faulty fuse panel boxes (computerized power distribution centers).

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by jonquil
If the problem is still there after all the work you're having done, try the following: With the engine idling, parking brake set, transmission in park, open the passenger side kick panel to get to the fuse panel (assuming your truck is a model with the fuse panel in that location). Pull the cover off the fuse panel. Engine still running? If yes, push gently on the fuse panel box with your forefinger (push several directions). Engine still running? Reach around the side of the fuse panel box and push/pull gently on the wiring harness where it enters the fuse panel box. Engine still running? Get a buddy to do the fuse panel thing while you are driving down the road. If the engine stops as a result of any of the above, you have one of those faulty fuse panel boxes (computerized power distribution centers).

Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up. Only reason I went ahead with the throttle body was b/c I had (3) error codes related to the throttle body.

I still haven't got the truck back yet, hoping that they didn't break any of the plugs. If not, I will be bringing a case of beer with me to pick up the truck later today

Quick Reply: Truck dies out, while driving....