Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans fluid Everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Trans fluid Everywhere

I haven't had any issues with my truck, was driving heard a noise and then my truck would rev but not move. Looked under and in wheel well and there is ATF everywhere as well as on the road. I could smell a burning smell which I assume was just the fluid on the engine. I'm hoping this is just a trans line breaking but wanted to get some input from everyone.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Check the trans cooler up front of the radiator and follow lines back.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:58 AM
Ro™2k0F150

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Happened to me 4 nights ago. Passenger side trans cooler line ruptured inches from the cooler.

Got a rubber trans cooler line connecting both metal lines with 4 clamps and topped it off with new fluid. Easy fix.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ro87f150
Happened to me 4 nights ago. Passenger side trans cooler line ruptured inches from the cooler.

Got a rubber trans cooler line connecting both metal lines with 4 clamps and topped it off with new fluid. Easy fix.

Due to rust?

Can't tell by your post, but it sounds like you replaced the entire section of metal line, other than enough of to connect to the trans/trans cooler?

For those looking to solve this issue, be careful not to just replace the section of burst line, unless you're just looking to find the "next weakest" point in the line.

On my Chevy, it took me two times replacing additional sections before I got smart and replaced it all. If the hardline connections in/out of the trans and transcooler are good, you can cut and throw a flare on it, and replace with soft trans cooler line.

Or you can do it right and replace with preformed hardline, which is obviously more expensive and often times difficult to route.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default Washing the bottom of the truck /salt

Down here after we have high water/from tropical storms the salt comes in from the gulf . We immediately take it to the car wash and soap the under side real good . Some car washes here offer that service but I didn't know that . The salt is vicious you have to get it off . I avoid getting flooded but all the puddles are salt .
Haven't lived in salt country for 45 years , if I lived up there I would do a lot of underbody cleaning during salt conditions . Lots of soap .
One storm brought in 18 inches over my slab that my wife's new ford explorer was sitting on .You haven't lived until you operate a floor jack under water with an led flashlight putting car on concrete blocks ,it fell off once during lift. But danged if it was going to beat me . When your head is under water you get to taste the salt in that water .
That floor jack is 30 years old and it's still a goodie ,of course I cleaned and oiled it to .
You work real hard for that 30k truck , don't let the salt get it . Get your cold weather rain gear ready for those moderate days .In between get her to a car wash . Pay extra for an underbody wash .
I 'm sure I could rig my own pvc underbody wash at home with some dawn soap .