Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Traded for a broken 05 f150 - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded for a broken 05 f150 - HELP

Ok before anyone gives me grief about why on earth I would trade for a broken f150 if I didnt know what was wrong and am not a mechanic. The trade was for a 900 dollar prius I picked up from a friend when his son hit a mailbox, and he didnt want to fix it, so he offered it to me for 900 dollars, I drove it as is for a week, ugly but perfectly functional. I meet a guy at a tattoo shop, he wants the prius, and offers me a 2005 f150 LARIAT 4x4 extended cab with 178k and a rebuilt trans....so I took this opportunity to learn something new and try to repair it cheap.

So what is wrong with it (I did drive it home, dumb or not TBD):
-Power steering pump is out (the drive home SUCKED) - I know how to fix that
-needs alignment (great big ol tires are all unevenly worn)
-Sunroof will tilt, but wont go back
- drivers Door seems to have a loose connection, switches only work when you slam it (found some posts on issues with the door harness breaking over time)
- Car keeps entering engine safemode, will start fine and run for a second, but then it starts to knock and sound like a diesel. The guy said his mechanic said that it needs a new TPS , but you cannot replace them seperately and I need to buy the throttle body as one unit.

That last one is the biggest, the engine sounds like it is going to rock itself out of the bay. His mechanic said the only problem is the TPS, and the throttle body actually controls some of the engine timing....Is that true? Why cant I just buy one of the TPS units I see on rock auto for like 30 bucks to fix the problem, are the tps and throttle body actually married on these 5.4s? with these symptoms, I have the following Codes
-P0102 - MAF ( I know this can cause some rough idle and stalling)
-P0340 - Cam shaft sensor, but has not come back Since I cleared the codes
-P2106 - throttle body, engine safemode

Now for the question, is it likely that all of these engine issues are directly linked to the TPS, could replacing this one part explain these issues? I am inclined to think timing, but I was told that the reason is because TPS controls timing as well.

oh and the only other issue is the power sliding window doesnt work, no noises or anything

Overall I am sure many of you will agree, a 900 dollar prius for an 05 4x4 lariat, even if the engine is completely blown to hell, is a killer deal. thank you for any help or advice you can give. The plan is to keep it and fix, but if anyone is in the central florida and is interested let me know......my dream truck is a square body 4x4 ranger, so I could be persuaded to sell or trade for the right chance.

Old 03-08-2023, 08:29 AM

Received 1,139 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by FLfordfan
Ok before anyone gives me grief about why on earth I would trade for a broken f150 if I didnt know what was wrong and am not a mechanic. The trade was for a 900 dollar prius I picked up from a friend when his son hit a mailbox, and he didnt want to fix it, so he offered it to me for 900 dollars, I drove it as is for a week, ugly but perfectly functional. I meet a guy at a tattoo shop, he wants the prius, and offers me a 2005 f150 LARIAT 4x4 extended cab with 178k and a rebuilt trans....so I took this opportunity to learn something new and try to repair it cheap.

So what is wrong with it (I did drive it home, dumb or not TBD):
-Power steering pump is out (the drive home SUCKED) - I know how to fix that
-needs alignment (great big ol tires are all unevenly worn)
-Sunroof will tilt, but wont go back
- drivers Door seems to have a loose connection, switches only work when you slam it (found some posts on issues with the door harness breaking over time)
- Car keeps entering engine safemode, will start fine and run for a second, but then it starts to knock and sound like a diesel. The guy said his mechanic said that it needs a new TPS , but you cannot replace them seperately and I need to buy the throttle body as one unit.

That last one is the biggest, the engine sounds like it is going to rock itself out of the bay. His mechanic said the only problem is the TPS, and the throttle body actually controls some of the engine timing....Is that true? Why cant I just buy one of the TPS units I see on rock auto for like 30 bucks to fix the problem, are the tps and throttle body actually married on these 5.4s? with these symptoms, I have the following Codes
-P0102 - MAF ( I know this can cause some rough idle and stalling)
-P0340 - Cam shaft sensor, but has not come back Since I cleared the codes
-P2106 - throttle body, engine safemode

Now for the question, is it likely that all of these engine issues are directly linked to the TPS, could replacing this one part explain these issues? I am inclined to think timing, but I was told that the reason is because TPS controls timing as well.

oh and the only other issue is the power sliding window doesnt work, no noises or anything

Overall I am sure many of you will agree, a 900 dollar prius for an 05 4x4 lariat, even if the engine is completely blown to hell, is a killer deal. thank you for any help or advice you can give. The plan is to keep it and fix, but if anyone is in the central florida and is interested let me know......my dream truck is a square body 4x4 ranger, so I could be persuaded to sell or trade for the right chance.
The good news is yes, you can change just the TPS.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:41 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 629 Likes on 566 Posts

Yes you can but that year had a defective model throttle body so throwing a tps at it may fail . Best to get the newer replacement series oem . The tps is a small part of throttle body , the motor and circuit board inside are key to it matching commands from pcm , the limp mode it trying to prevent a runaway throttle if it isn't where its supposed to be from pcm commands.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:44 AM
2004 F150 5.4 Lariat

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

If you plan to fix it yourself, I think you should first test the MAF sensor with a multimeter. If it tests bad, you can clean it and retest. If it now works, clear the codes and see how the engine does. If the problem is still there, you can test the TPS similarly. There are numerous YouTube videos that can help with both of these tests.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:58 PM

Received 816 Likes on 720 Posts

The tps/throttle body has no direct control of the timing though, so if you have knocking sounds it probably needs a timing job, which is neither cheap or easy.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Paycheck (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 10:16 PM

Received 437 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by FLfordfan

That last one is the biggest, the engine sounds like it is going to rock itself out of the bay. His mechanic said the only problem is the TPS, and the throttle body actually controls some of the engine timing....Is that true?
I don’t really know how the guys who already posted just missed that detail, but…

Originally Posted by needsmoarturbo
The tps/throttle body has no direct control of the timing though, so if you have knocking sounds it probably needs a timing job, which is neither cheap or easy.
This.

How attached to this truck are you to spend several grand to drop a remanned engine in it?

This is the first time I’ve heard of a 3V Triton needing a timing job being so bad off that it’s cutting off cylinders!
Old 03-08-2023, 10:28 PM

thank you all for the responses.

My new throttle body should be in tomorrow according to the tracking. My current plan of attack is I ordered a new MAF, new camshaft sensors. I really suspected timing, but it had a timing job last october, I have the receipt,so unless it was done horribly wrong,it should not be timing.THis issue started very suddenly one day, he said it was not gradual. I cant imagine those phaser pins could have both worn that fast in 4 months and less than 5k miles

so plan is, oil change sensor change and throttle body, go from there based on noises and codes.

I am not really scared of the timing job, I just dont see how it would be necessary so soon after the last one

My father in law mentioned the VVT solenoid? I dont have any codes for that, what would be some symptoms of that?

truck overall is awesome though! it sits so high and looks so sharp
Old 03-08-2023, 10:39 PM

Received 816 Likes on 720 Posts

If crappy Noname phasers were used or the oil pan and pickup screen for the oil pump were not cleaned out of debris then yes a sudden failure is not out of the question it seems based on what other people have posted before.

​​​​​
Old 03-08-2023, 10:48 PM

I will put dropping the pan on my list, that should pretty quickly tell me if there is a problem if I find a bunch of debris in there, thank you for that information
Old 03-11-2023, 12:36 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't bother replacing the cam sensors, it is almost unheard of for them to fail. The cam sensor code is related to the timing being off.

Quick Reply: Traded for a broken 05 f150 - HELP