Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

TPMS Fault

Old 01-28-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Default TPMS Fault

Two days ago, had my new wheels put on. My old TPMS sensors were over 8 years old, so the Discount tire put new VDO stem-type sensors in. Today, after a few hundred miles of driving, I got the TPMS Fault alert in the cluster, and the light in the dash flashed a bit and went steady? Turn off the truck, restart, and the fault comes back. Tire pressure is good. I plan to take it back to Discount on Monday, but until then, any ideas? Not sure if it matters, but when I asked the tech if the new sensors needed to be programmed, he said no, that the truck would learn them. Sounded fishy, but I drove off with no fault or light. Now the fault. Coincidence?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:09 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

May have a bad sensor is all..
Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
May have a bad sensor is all..
What do you think about the truck relearning the new sensors without the need to be reprogrammed? How does that work?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 5,988 Likes on 3,552 Posts

I may be wrong, but I believe the older models DO need to be relearned. Especially with new sensors. Discount has a tool, you should be all set on Monday.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
I may be wrong, but I believe the older models DO need to be relearned. Especially with new sensors. Discount has a tool, you should be all set on Monday.
Bingo. Just got back from Discount. Tech today said that on the 07-08s the truck will not learn the new sensors on its own. He broke out the relearn tool, and 4 horn honks later, no TPMS fault.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulestang
Bingo. Just got back from Discount. Tech today said that on the 07-08s the truck will not learn the new sensors on its own. He broke out the relearn tool, and 4 horn honks later, no TPMS fault.
And I have been driving around with my TPMS fault error on for 3 years now lol...so it seems there is a solution...thanks my friend...all I ever got told was "idk, just how it is"
Old 02-01-2017, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by slag2003
And I have been driving around with my TPMS fault error on for 3 years now lol...so it seems there is a solution...thanks my friend...all I ever got told was "idk, just how it is"
For $30-$40 you can get the factory tool from eBay or Amazon. However, tire shops that sell TPMS sensors should have the specialized tool that works across all models. Al the tire tech has to do is follow the reset procedures in the owners manual. In my case, they were just ill-informed or uneducated with respect to the requirement to run the relearn procedure for my new VDO sensors.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulestang
For $30-$40 you can get the factory tool from eBay or Amazon. However, tire shops that sell TPMS sensors should have the specialized tool that works across all models. Al the tire tech has to do is follow the reset procedures in the owners manual. In my case, they were just ill-informed or uneducated with respect to the requirement to run the relearn procedure for my new VDO sensors.
Thank you for that advice! I'm going to do a reset or relearn on my truck when I get off work
Old 11-07-2022, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS fault

I just changed the tires on my 2009 f150 and installed new tpms sensors as well. The technician programmed the new sensors with the tools they have. On the way home the tpms fault message came on and the tpms light was solid. When I turn the truck off the messages and light turns off. The fault message and light only turns on when I drive far. Before I changed the tires and sensors I was having the same problem so I figured installing new sensors would fix the issue but it didn’t. Any ideas what could be happening? Please help
Old 11-07-2022, 08:44 PM

Received 1,107 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Serg Fuentes
I just changed the tires on my 2009 f150 and installed new tpms sensors as well. The technician programmed the new sensors with the tools they have. On the way home the tpms fault message came on and the tpms light was solid. When I turn the truck off the messages and light turns off. The fault message and light only turns on when I drive far. Before I changed the tires and sensors I was having the same problem so I figured installing new sensors would fix the issue but it didn’t. Any ideas what could be happening? Please help
Did you scan for codes?

if you paid shop for tires sensor and programming, I’d take it back to them and see what they say?
The following users liked this post:
Serg Fuentes (11-07-2022)

Search this Thread