Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Towing Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Mirrors

hey guys, I have an 06 Harley (with memory) and I just changed over to ford's towing mirrors. everything went well with the swap out except when i use the turn signal (either side) the mirror heater switch on the dash flashes with the signal. Im sure its a grounding issue that requires switching pins in the connector, just wondering if anyone has seen this before and has a fix. thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Mods are Addictive

Originally Posted by masher
hey guys, I have an 06 Harley (with memory) and I just changed over to ford's towing mirrors. everything went well with the swap out except when i use the turn signal (either side) the mirror heater switch on the dash flashes with the signal. Im sure its a grounding issue that requires switching pins in the connector, just wondering if anyone has seen this before and has a fix. thanks
Your exactly correct. The turn signals are grounding through the positive side of the mirror heat circuit. Mine did this when I bought the truck, also my puddle lamp didn't work. I had to run a new wire for the puddle lamps and move pins around in connector, but I can't remember which ones. I do know that everything shares a single ground out of the mirror, and you can test the truck side of the connector to find what is what.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 PM

ok...with 06's to fix the grounding problem, you can either the move the ground from #2 OR #9 position to the #8 position.. on the mirrors both #2 and #9 do not have any pins. now i havent tried this yet, but whichever pin you do not use, (2 or 9) you can cut and use for the puddle light position #11. I believe that you have run a black with light blue stripe wire into the door to have the puddle light work off the dome lights. I am thinking about using the door switch wire (already in the door) and have the puddle light come on when the door opens. on either option, i would switch the puddle light bulbs to LED to have less draw....thoughts?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I wanna go fast!

i need help with my wiring too. there is no terminal to plug a fuse into in the fuse box for the turn signals. what needs to be done?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Mods are Addictive

Originally Posted by masher
ok...with 06's to fix the grounding problem, you can either the move the ground from #2 OR #9 position to the #8 position.. on the mirrors both #2 and #9 do not have any pins. now i havent tried this yet, but whichever pin you do not use, (2 or 9) you can cut and use for the puddle light position #11. I believe that you have run a black with light blue stripe wire into the door to have the puddle light work off the dome lights. I am thinking about using the door switch wire (already in the door) and have the puddle light come on when the door opens. on either option, i would switch the puddle light bulbs to LED to have less draw....thoughts?
That's what I did. I ran a wire from the black/blu wire under the door sills out to the mirror. If you figure out a way to change the puddle lamp to LED let me know. I know that it is a festoon type bulb but it looked to me like the housing is sealed.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Mods are Addictive

Originally Posted by bigorangecntry07
i need help with my wiring too. there is no terminal to plug a fuse into in the fuse box for the turn signals. what needs to be done?
If your wanting to power your mirror turns you can tap into the lt grn/wht wire for drivers side and wht/lt blu for the passenger side. Both can be found under the drivers side sill and kick panel.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM

I have an 04 fx4 and i just installed the new towing mirrors to replace my old ones. i new to get the turn signal and puddle lamps to work. is it the same ground problem as an 06? what do i have to do?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I wanna go fast!

Originally Posted by Evil_E
If your wanting to power your mirror turns you can tap into the lt grn/wht wire for drivers side and wht/lt blu for the passenger side. Both can be found under the drivers side sill and kick panel.
thanks... see what i can do...
Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

See my thread for my install pics:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/crashte...11/#post548737

The next post shows the blue/black wire I tapped into for the puddle lights. Everything else matched up following the wiring guide on Tasca's website.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I wanna go fast!

oh so much helpful stuff!

Quick Reply: Towing Mirrors