Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Timing alignment check?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing alignment check?

Hello all. I’ve got a general question about timing a 5.4 3v engine. I have a 05 f150 lariat. I recently performed a complete overhaul of my timing components. Oil pump, cam and crank sprockets, tensioners, guides and vct solenoids. I got it all back together and it ran great when it was cold, but when it warmed up it was running rough in gear at a crawl, less than 1500rpm’s. My code reader was giving me codes for cam shaft position sensor both banks and retarded timing on bank 2. I took it to a shop to see if they could give me more details. They said the phaser was not resetting to 0 degrees at idle. I thought maybe I had a bad phaser so ripped the engine apart again took it apart and retimed it with new phasers. I put all my roller followers back in and gave the crank a few spins to see if things stayed in line. Now I see that the timing marks don’t align after 2 full revelations of the crank. Is this correct? It seems every time my two colored links come back up on my phaser it has advanced 4 teeth on my phaser. It takes a ton of full crank revelations for all the marks to realign. I didn’t turn my crank multiple times after the first time I timed it because I wasn’t aware of this. Now I don’t know if it actually was off the first time. I’m looking for something I could use to ensure timing is correct while the valve and timing covers are off. I don’t want to put it back together and see it’s off again. I wasn’t very careful with ensuring the cams didn’t move the first time, I just loosened cam caps when timing it. This time I removed all roller followers. Hope you guys can help. Thanks for reading and thanks for all the helpful information on here!
Old 02-19-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

It is normal for your timing marks to not line up after the first revolution.

Did you remove and clean the VCT housings in each head? Sometimes they can trap debris and often get over looked in a timing overhaul.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:36 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

swap VCT sensors from side to side, see if code follows.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses, and not ripping me for revelation revolution . I initially thought it was vct related as well. It seems to mimic that type of issue. But would I have a p0022 code if it was vct related? I did take the vct solenoid housing off the first time I was in here. I kinda forgot about them this time though. I actually had a new gasket for the back of each in my timing cover gasket set. I remember taking them off cleaning them up and trying to figure out which way those gaskets went in. I did notice that I left a bolt on each housing a little loose so I tightened those up and also saw an Allen wrench key at the top of each. It looked like a clean out or something so i opened it up, not really sure what it is so I put it back. I have been using sea foam in a spray bottle to spray components and help clean things up so I sprayed that down in there. While I have it all apart I suppose I could pull a few roller followers, take the phasers off and inspect the housing again. Would I be alright to reuse the phaser bolt? I know it’s supposed to be torque to yield
Old 02-20-2018, 04:01 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default Well you found out it would not line up again for 122 revolutions

Only way to to it is start over .
But regardless you put new vcts in and you must have done a lot of cleaning .
I wonder if you dropped oil pan and cleaned oil pickup it maybe full of plastic nothing is going to work right if oil pressure not correct .
Next I wonder how you timed it , you need crank gear dot at six oclock , cams facing on 1 and 5 like the ford book .
You are using OEM phasors ? Don't tell me you are using dorman . Are you using toothed tool to hold phasor while torquing and removing , I'm not a fan of the vise grip method .

Sorry to say you can't reuse those bolts .All other bolts inside timing cover should be blue lock tighted .
Did you use old style metal ratcheting tensioners with no gasket to fail .
Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 AM

I did drop the oil pan and oil pickup tube the first time i did it. I had quite a bit of plastic in my pickup tube. I cleaned that all out. Last time i had the crank positioning tool, this time i didn't. I had the timing dot at 6:00 both times though. I'm not using Doorman phasers, but i am using Standard motor products. I picked up the tooth tool to hold the phaser this time, was a pain last time to get them on, and the valve spring compressor tool. If my timing was off the first time I think that's the reason why. I just loosened the cam caps the first time and tried to evenly tighten everything back down. I am using the cast iron ratcheting tensioners. I'll have to pick up some new bolts for the phasers. I should have went through my vct system again. Since i have everything apart now's the time. I can get a picture of my alignment tonight and post it just to show it. If i take my phasers off and clean up the vct housing again could i just put my crank to the 12:00 remove my exhaust roller follower from cy 1 and 8 and intakes from 4 and 5. Then move my crank to 12:00 and mark my chains and phasers and take everything off? Since I've timed it again, I don't really want to take all my roller followers out again if I don't have too. As a check, once i get the chain back on i could always manually turn the crank a bunch of times until the marks realign to ensure I'm on. Appreciate the input
Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Save yourself a ton of aggravation. Watch FordTechMakuloco's 4 part set. He breaks it down very simple every part. Even how to set the timing of the engine. Real good guy to watch and he makes it easy.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:46 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default I don't use the roller removal tool

I just pull cams then inspect all rollers and lashes cleaning out lash wells . Inspecting cams important and easier than messing with tool .
No valves are down doing it this way and if over 100k replace all rollers and lashes . Rollers and lashes have been improved ..
Doing timing off 6 oclock crank is a non ford way of doing it so do it at your own peril . No way would I try to rotate all those turns to check timing .
I am not comfortable with off brand phasors.
I'm not sure you save much replacing non oem phasors twice and all those expensive bolts . I do believe ford should reduce their oem price --haha fat chance.
Make sure that reluctor is facing front like it is stamped and plug in crank sensor while putting timing cover on .
Well good luck to you and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Timing alignment check?