Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Time to replace the brake pads...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to replace the brake pads...

So this will be my first time replacing the pads on my truck. Its an 04 2wd four door. Its my first truck with four wheel disc brakes and I was wondering if I should replace front and back or just deal with the front as they are the only ones squeeking. Do i just take the rotors to have them turned like I used to on my S10, or is gonna be more involved than that with this truck? Anybody have suggestions on brand names? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Inspector Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm cheap. I inspect the rotor and if they're not grooved or obviously damaged, I just replace the pads. You will, however not want to get too cheap on wear parts. Ceramics are worth the money in terms of reduced noise and dust plus better longevity. The common theme I'm seeing from other members is buy a name brand, not a store brand pad. As for whether to just replace fronts or do the back brakes too, the best answer to that question is to replace them. I've not had to replace the brakes on my F-150 yet, so I'm not all that familiar with how back pads will wear versus shoes, but as a rule, I'd replace two sets of pads per set of shoes in the back on my Ranger.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would replace all and turn rotors too. I had a front vibration problem and only did the fronts, came back within 5000 miles. I think the back were out too. Will do all next time. Any ideas on my post on the Saleen rims? Thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Always inspect all four wheel for wear and replace accordingly as sets. Front axle being one set and back axle the other. If steering wheel shake or brake pedal pulsing is not present during application then warpage or distortion is minimal, turning is not necessary. My driving conditions changed, 95K on first set of front pads, rears OK. LA to Vegas. Moved to Vegas, at 145K fronts and rears done, machined front rotors. Driving conditions dictate pad life, thats why 4 wheel inspection is necessary.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome, thanks for all your help guys, ill be tackling numerous problems on my truck this weekend, will probably take a few friends and a case of beer, possibly numerous cases, but i definatly have a better idea of what to expect with the info from you guys, thanks again fellas

Quick Reply: Time to replace the brake pads...