Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Third Brake Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Brake Light Help

I got a set of Depo led tail lights for my 06 Flareside and installation was a snap. They look great! When I went to install the Putco 3rd brake light, I couldn't get to the darn wiring connector. After a search here it seems that the wire is secured to the body somewhere under the headliner!

Can anybody offer any additional ideas or help? It's been suggested that the headliner be pulled down. How? The one on my supercab is tight as heck.
Also, apparently you can shear off the connector using a screwdriver. Any details?

It's probably a simple thing but I'd really appreciate any input, thanks.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i installed mine at night so i already had a flash light. Look inside the roof from the third brake light hole. The connector is to the right side of the hole. The screwdriver shear thing is to cut the little plastic post that mounts the connector to the inside of the roof. i would not advise removing the headliner. Its actually pretty easy to do from the outside of the truck once you spy the connector with a flash light.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had to remove my headliner. you can buy a clip remover that will remove the clips holding the headliner in. once you get that off you can simply get the wires unclasped and install your 3rd break light. just be careful not to break the clips. once you get it loose enough you can take a needle nose pliers to grab it underneath and pull it out without breaking. i've installed 4 of these and its pretty easy. first one took about an hour because i had to work the clamp. and be careful not to tear the fabric or get it dirty!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

yea that third brake light is a pain right in the ***** if you have a rear slider you can open it and you can pull the head liner down just enough to get to the wires from inside the bed after you get the clips broken that are holding the wires thats what I did, was afraid of trying to pull clips on head liner and then not being able to get back up correctly.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Been Around!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I found it easy since I have the rear window slide. I just took a long screwdriver and hit the clips holding the wiring connector in place and then just pulled the wire out. Then it was just a matter of unplug and plug. I got the smoke lens and what a difference from the factory. The brake lights (9 LEDs) are very bright, much brighter than factory.

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light Help