Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Thermostat replacement 06 5.4L Vin V FFV

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat replacement 06 5.4L Vin V FFV

I replaced my OE 192 degree thermostat today with a 180 degree stat. The guy at the parts store didn't recommend this but I did it anyway. So far it runs fine, no check engine lights. Has anyone done this? I've seen other threads with other years switching to cooler stats. I can't find much info on whether this will cause a lean or rich condition and if there are any other problems associated with running a cooler stat. So far so good, but I've only done a test drive for a few miles after letting it warm up to temp. Heater still cooks the hell out of my foot. Any info? I also opened up the exhaust with a glasspack and let her breath with a K&N CAI, otherwise factory. UPDATE: 40 miles so far with the 180* thermostat and no issues, I'll update again after I figure out the MPG to see if there is any change.

Last edited by FitterJones; 04-20-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

What is your reason for deviating from OEM? It typically causes a rich condition. The ECM is gonna be happiest running at it’s programmed temperature which is 195.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mainly out of curiosity, The OE I removed was 192 which I read was more for emissions, then I heard an old hot rodder trick to get more power was to run a cooler stat. Rich means more fuel means more power right? It's a flex fuel controlled by a MAF sensor so if dumping more fuel in without programming or changing injectors gives me more power on the cheap without problems besides loss of MPG I figure what the hell, we'll see what happens. Plus the heater cooks the hell out of my foot, heat is your engines worst enemy, and I'm off work right now and need something to play with lol

Quick Reply: Thermostat replacement 06 5.4L Vin V FFV