Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spinning Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spinning Spark Plug

I have already changed the plugs once before and went through breaking 4 out of 8. I purchased the plug removal tools and was able to complete the PIA task.
I changed the spark plugs in my 2005 F150 5.4 Triton yesterday, well I should say, I changed 7 out of 8. Of course the one farthest back on the passenger side is giving me fits. It just spins when I use a ratchet on it. It twisted easily when I first put the socket on it. I didn't need to break it loose. It will not tighten up now either. A friend told me that I am "Doomed" and will need to pull the head to get it out. Are there any miracle fixes before I attempt this? I am in no way a mechanic. I can change brakes, plugs, belts, hoses, water pumps, radiators, and other small minimal mechanical tasks. Would removing the head be something that I should even consider doing myself, if it comes to that?
Thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If u can spin it that means the porcelain just snapped close to the nut. Try using needle nosed pliers to pull it out. I had to use a flat head screw driver to free it up(prying it back and forth) and then a porcelain drill bit to get some room to get a good bite with the puller. Let me know what happens.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did pretty much what goldteam did. I had to get a flat head screw driver in there and break the porcelain. The nut broke loose and threaded itself up the spark plug but the porcelain stayed intact. Breaking it off let me get the remover tool down in there and then had no problems getting the plug out

Quick Reply: Spinning Spark Plug