Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Some needed TLC and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Some needed TLC and upgrades

So I'm still in school but will start working in January and I'll have a good cash flow straight to mod money. My 05 Lariat is almost at 120k probably will be a little over that by January and I'm taking it to a local shop to do most of the following just because they are good guys and can do it all.
-Rebuild fuel injectors (they are well known for this)
-Fixing squealing/leaking rear axle
-New DIDO magnaflow
-Powdercoat chrome tips black
-Replace belts
-Radiator and coolant flush (just did brake and transmission will be done with rear axle)
-Replace brake cables (only thing I haven't replaced and still have soft pedal)
-New fuel filter
-Rotate tires and alignment

I know some of this stuff I can do and there is some stuff that I haven't listed because I am going to do them myself, she just needs some well deserved TLC now that I properly can.

What else do yall thing should be added to the list? I'm starting this early so I can slowly get some of the stuff together. Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Sounds like you have a plan but I'm wondering if you put this list in order of priority. It really looks like you combined a list of things that need to be fixed and want to have list. I personally would fix the brakes first, then the fuel filter, belts, tire rotation and the coolant flush as these are pretty easy and so on going in order of keeping her running. A lot of these things you can probably do on your own or should try to do on your own because in the end, owning an older vehicle is going to have some maintenance needed and who better to do it than yourself. Just my two cents but if you save yourself the cost of labor, then you can save it for any future mods later. Good luck.
Tom
Old 09-29-2014, 08:49 PM

The list was in no order of priority, just what came to mind as I reflected on what needed to be done. It is a list of want and needs just trying to see if I miss any. As far as the brakes I've done everything, new pads, rotors, master cylinder and fluid and still soft pedal. I've read that there were some 04-08s that the booster rod wasn't adjusted correctly leading to a soft pedal with nothing malfunction. Yes it is good to work on your own truck and I love doing so, and if I feel like it I could do some of the things but right now I haven't planned on it. Currently I'm in my toughest semester of my EE major and I spend more hours at school and studying than I do at my house. I would love just to have one free day to wax her but I don't even have that. So I'm thinking I'm going to be burned out by January and will need some rest and let her get professional TLC for a day.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I fully understand, school can be a pain, I'm working on my masters now. Maybe someone will chime in now but from all past experience with soft brakes, it has always turned out to be air in the lines for me. My old Durango took over 2 hours to get it all out once. Good luck, hopefully someone chimes in about the brakes.
Tom
Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you done plugs, COPS, replace your airbox gasket and FPDM? Those would probably liven her back up a bit for your enjoyment.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Plugs - I did about 10k ago or so
COPS - Forgot about that, I'll add to the list
What is the airbox gasket and FPDM?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd add "clean Throttle Body" to the list..there is a good write up on here that I followed, but I couldn't find the link for you.

Also the Tranny fluid..I want/need to do mine and plan on using this article to install drain plug while at it. https://www.f150forum.com/f4/transmi...h-pics-206146/

I believe FPDM is short for Fuel Pump Driver Module
Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info about the FPDM, I'll check on it. I have cleaned the throttle body a couple months ago and then again when I added a TBS so it's pretty clean. Was real dirty before the first clean and I noticed it sounded better. One thing I am doing myself is replacing the vct solenoids, been ticking for a little while and is simple to do.

Quick Reply: Some needed TLC and upgrades