Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

So many engine codes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So many engine codes!

I'm new to owning the 3V 5.4 engine and have done minimal work on these engines. I picked up a 2005 XLT Crew Cab short box with the 5.4 with 250k on it and in good shape for $1000. When I bought it, it ran great I put 2000 mile on it in about 2 weeks and just yesterday I got 9 codes being thrown at me and the truck is running like ****. The codes are p0100, p0106, p0126, p0128, p0171, p0204, p0301, p0420, p0662. I know what they all are but no matter what I cannot get the p0204, p0301 or the p0662 to go away. Any helpful advice would be awesome.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

P0106 Causes
  • Faulty MAP sensor
  • Faulty MAP sensor wiring
  • Leaks in air intake system
  • Open/Short in wiring for MAP sensor
  • MAP sensor affected by water or dirt
A code P0126 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Low engine coolant level Faulty thermostat Faulty coolant temperature sensor (CTS) CTS electrical wiring or connector problem - open, short, or poor connection

A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Low engine coolant level Leaking or stuck open thermostat (likely) Faulty cooling fan (running too much) Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for (unlikely) A damaged or failed oxygen / O2 sensor Downstream oxygen sensor (HO2S) wiring damaged or connected improperly The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly. Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / muffler / exhaust pipe Failed or underperforming catalytic converter (likely) Retarded spark timing The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings Leaking fuel injector or high fuel pressure Cylinder misfire Oil contamination

p0204 is a Electrical fault. Or the injector is bad. p0301 is a Cylinder 1 misfire. P0662 is Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Control Circuit High Bank 1.

So something is messed up with the wiring, the bank 1 cats, the bank one O2 sensors, Coolant temp sensor is bad, OR, what I am leaning to is a bad PCM, or bad wiring.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:09 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Check fuses
Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by Jojodapyro
P0106 Causes
  • Faulty MAP sensor
  • Faulty MAP sensor wiring
  • Leaks in air intake system
  • Open/Short in wiring for MAP sensor
  • MAP sensor affected by water or dirt
A code P0126 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Low engine coolant level Faulty thermostat Faulty coolant temperature sensor (CTS) CTS electrical wiring or connector problem - open, short, or poor connection

A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Low engine coolant level Leaking or stuck open thermostat (likely) Faulty cooling fan (running too much) Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for (unlikely) A damaged or failed oxygen / O2 sensor Downstream oxygen sensor (HO2S) wiring damaged or connected improperly The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly. Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / muffler / exhaust pipe Failed or underperforming catalytic converter (likely) Retarded spark timing The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings Leaking fuel injector or high fuel pressure Cylinder misfire Oil contamination

p0204 is a Electrical fault. Or the injector is bad. p0301 is a Cylinder 1 misfire. P0662 is Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Control Circuit High Bank 1.

So something is messed up with the wiring, the bank 1 cats, the bank one O2 sensors, Coolant temp sensor is bad, OR, what I am leaning to is a bad PCM, or bad wiring.
^that came from autocodes.com. great info
Old 04-29-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
^that came from autocodes.com. great info
Little copy and paste action. I do what I can!
Old 04-29-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jojodapyro
Little copy and paste action. I do what I can!
nothing wrong with that as long as it's accurate
Old 04-30-2019, 08:33 AM

I've checked all the fuses. It was a construction truck so there was all kinds of extra bull**** added to it. I noticed that there was a green and black wire that was spliced into coil 8, leading into the cab so I tor the dash apart to find the wire and I never did find the wire. I put a multimeter to it with the key on and of and the vehcile running and there was 0V so I cut the wire and taped it off. Theres so much extra wiring in this pickup and I'd rather not have to being it into the Ford Garage to have them take it all out. I know the theres a shirt or open circuit somewhere on injector 4 cause I swapped the injectors around and cleared the codes and it still came up as injector 4 circuit fault. I'll have to do some more digging around in this thing when I get time off of work
Old 04-30-2019, 12:11 PM

if was a construction truck, it's hard to tell what all **** was put on it
Old 09-02-2019, 07:08 PM

Got it all fixed up. All the codes except for the missfire and ABS were from the actuator on the back of the intake
Old 09-02-2019, 07:24 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by devins97flareside
Got it all fixed up. All the codes except for the missfire and ABS were from the actuator on the back of the intake

WTF are you talking about. "missfire and ABS were from the actuator on the back of the intake" ??????????????????????

The IMRC doesn't have anything to do with ABS and I can't even 'imagine' how the PCM could get them mixed up. Slow down a little bit and help would be more likely. No being a Smart *** but this doesn't make sense.

Quick Reply: So many engine codes!