Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

and so it begins ;)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default and so it begins ;)

OK, so family inside joke thing...my oldest son is named Luke, I got nicknamed Darth Vader, the house is known as "the Deathstar", and it is rumored that I have dark, mysterious powers. LOL So this should explain the beginning of the build of the "F150 Darkside Edition" aka my 05 STX 4x4. LOL

We'll start with some stock photos and add as I do stuff to it (which depending on how fast parts come in, will determine how fast it gets updated). On the docket for tomorrow morning, installation of a HBS 2.5in leveling kit. So, come on over to the Darkside....we have cookies!!! LOL
Attached Thumbnails and so it begins ;)-f150a.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 PM

btw, "stock" is 285/70R17 tires and a "cat back" (meaning after the first 2 cats) exhaust system. Haven't crawled up underneath the back end to ID the muffler, but it sure sounds mean.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Cajun Mike (I'm a cajun chef, by the way)! Your truck looks great...the 2.5" kit will set it off, and you've already got the tires. You could fit SOME 35's with this upgrade, but I like it with your current setup. You've also got factory tow hooks...making a bullbar an easy at home install for a future project (if you're interested). Please post your results!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 PM

the "plan" is for new wheels (black, either 17x8 or 17x9) with either 315/70s or 35s. I've got new heads, tails, and 3rd brake light on the way. I'm picking up a lil downloader tomorrow so I can redo the settings on the trans (not interested in changing the programming on the engine yet, that's another can of worms and will probably end up being a build thread in the engine section). I'll be going through the truck, a section or type of mod at a time, adding on a lot of factory power options and making subtle changes (no major revamping or major alterations).

btw, I work offshore for WoodGroup (contracted out to Stone) on a production platform (I'm a mechanic) in the Mississippi Canyon block.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 AM

OK so...

yesterday, my 16yr old son & I leveled the truck. Not too bad of a job (good pry bars help...not to mention the big box of tools I have), the 2nd side took us less than 30mins from the time we put the jack on it to the time it was back down.

After that, I decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and clean the MAF & TB. The TB was really gummed up on the edges of the plate and on the back side! After doing that, I tuned the trans for firmer shifting, then lo & behold it would spin the tires on take off at 3/4 throttle.

Still waiting on my heads, tails, and 3rd...but the firmer shifting has shown me that I need to change the serpentine belt (at WOT taking off from a stand still, the belt would slip and squeal on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts).

Either today or tomorrow, I'm going to pull the cowl panels and bed rail caps and redo them with Krylon Fusion paint. I'm also going to pull the fog lights and do a "Harley mod" (for lack of a better term)...blacking out the non reflective surfaces (top & bottom). I'll be doing the same to the LED 3rd brake light when it comes in. I'll update some pics after that is all done, because quite frankly, everyone and their brother has seen the before/after pics of just leveling a truck.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carencro huh? nice to see someone from around here, Lafayette reppin!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 PM

and I've decided which wheels I want...
Attached Thumbnails and so it begins ;)-bmf-m80-6-stealth.jpg  
Old 04-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mp10
carencro huh? nice to see someone from around here, Lafayette reppin!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Coonass

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see another local!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Goombah Stomper

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

COOKIES!!!!

lol keep up the progress bro

Quick Reply: and so it begins ;)