Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Slow, Sluggish throttle/Throttle Lag

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Slow, Sluggish throttle/Throttle Lag

I have a 2004 F-150 FX4 with a 3V 5.4L. I have seen some stuff on here about slow throttle and throttle lag but not really what I am looking for. I am a sales manager at a Ford dealer and I have driven ALOT of 3V 5.4L F-150's. Mine seems worse. It has 173,000 miles and runs REALLY GOOD, but the response on the throttle is horrible. I can literaly stab the gas and let off really quickly and it won't move! It has a 3" body lift...could that have something to do with it? No programmer, just pipe from the cat back, and stock intake. I know this is all drive by wire stuff and I was just wondering if there was anything I could do. I have tried the gas pedal reset with the ignition and it didn't help. Is there a throttle position sensor? Is it something in the throttle body or the throttle body itself? Any input on this would be helpful. Thanks guys!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Seņor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Seems member jvbest33 discovered a fix.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/04-f150...-10957/index3/

You'd have to read throught the thread. Since you got an inside connection to the service department at your dealership. Maybe you can have one of the service guys try the same thing?

Here's his quote from the thread:
Originally Posted by jvbest33
I got mine to 108%. Wide open throttle started being displayed at around 89% and I still had throttle left. On the floor, the pid reads 108%.
I took the assembly out to try the mustang mod, saw that it's a different system on the F150, so had to put it back in after doing nothing. But when I went to reinstall, I saw that the 2 bottom mounting holes are oblonged just a little. I put in the top bolt, and I held the the bottom of the pedal assembly as far forward as possible,and tightened the bottom bolts. turned the key on, waited for the lights and did the reset. Like I said it went from a top reading of 87% to 108%, and the difference from a dead stop take off now is amazing.

Otherwise, seems the best answer to the throttle lag is a programmer. I just installed the Edge Evo last week and the lag is much improved compared to stock.
Good Luck!

Last edited by MoDy150; 01-12-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That may be helpful but the problem that I have Is something that has gone bad...I can be sure that this truck didn't come from Ford like this. I am not concerned so much with wide open throttle, just the initial off the line acceleration.

Quick Reply: Slow, Sluggish throttle/Throttle Lag