Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Should i remove side steps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Should i remove side steps?

I have an 05 fx4, lifted 6in by procomp and 35in toyos on 18inch moto metals. the truck has black podercoated side steps that are really starting to show their age, lots of rust spots around all the mounting brackets and scratched to **** and are fading really bad, i really am kind of picky when it come to keeping my cars and trucks clean so these really standout in my head because they jst always lokk dirty. ive seen quite a few people with lifts that take theirs off, so my question is, is it a major pain to get in and out of the truck? i think it looks really good with out them but i dont want to struggle everytime i get in and out. if i do take them off myabe i will eventually sand them down and repaint but it wouldnt be a priority so it probabaly wouldnt get done to quick. what are your guys opinions.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some westins doing the same thing, they will be coming off soon. I am kepping them on there as I feel they deflect some of the road debris from hitting the paint.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 AM

Here is a couple pics of one side, the pictures truely do make them not look as bad but trust me they are. i have seeen worse though but they still bother me.
Name:  DSC01081.JPG
Views: 1963
Size:  99.8 KB
Name:  DSC01082.JPG
Views: 2041
Size:  80.5 KB
a little off topic but i thought i would post this too, this is what happened to my badges when i painted them with nighshaes, the next morning i didnt like how dark they were so i took some rubbing alchohol and took all if it off. the paint actually dyed the badge and left it looking pretty cool IMO. there are little scratches from when i previously sanded them to paint, but they arent that noticable really.
Name:  DSC01083.JPG
Views: 1957
Size:  105.1 KB
Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Things are looking up!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine off and I have no problems getting in and out and I have the 8"lift with 37's. Even my 6 year old climbs in with no help...lol. I have the handle on the pillar to help as i think all the trucks have. Just give it a try to hop in without using your steps and see if its thats much of a pain. I had the factory chrome and nothing was wrong with them at all...I just think it makes the truck look higher with them off.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:56 AM

ill give it a try, ill have to have my wife try as well, shes a little short. my daughter is onyl 2 to either way she cant. haha.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, i would Rattle can your brackets and frame. I did this when I got my body lift cuz everything became exposed then. I used a flat black, and sprayed everything that wasnt chrome. I even sprayed any/all wires/lines that were exposed as well. I can try to take some pics if you'd like to see how it would turn out on yours possibly. I really think it cleaned up my truck, but if you like no steps, go for it. I personally like that first foot on the step, next step into the truck. but hey, i'm young and lazy and dont wanna "hop" in/out of my truck.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

This is my advise, find a company who powder coats(baked painting). It's very durable and will help with rust issues. I like the side steps because they act like a body guard. What I mean is, when you park in public parking lots, I realized that car dorrs hit the side steps and not the actual doors. It's worth a lot to keep them IMO
Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I second the powdercoating idea. you can usually find someplace to do it pretty cheaply, especially because they're a simple shape. If that's not to your fancy, you can get them done up with bed liner (Line-X, Rhino, Herculiner, etc) which won't ever go away
Old 04-27-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have experience with my Jeep since my truck isn't lifted yet but I personally don't like step bars at all because in my opinion, it makes the truck look taller than when I do have them. Plus whenever I have girls get in my Jeep, they always need help getting in so it's a bonus
Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Man, if mine was up 6" and I had step bars on them and took them off, my GF would kill me. I've got a 2.5" level with 33s and it's already a pain for her.

Quick Reply: Should i remove side steps?