Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shift Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Lock Issues

2004 Ford 150 Lariat Four Wheel Drive 5.4 liter
turned my truck off in the driveway, put in park. It rolled backwards till I put emergency brake on. I tried cranking, no luck. Shifted into neutral to crank, no luck. Plenty of battery power. It seems to be moving too freely in shift box. Tried shift lock button as well. If this is a simple fix that I can do, great, if not I have to have it towed to mechanic since it won't crank.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Probably neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission. Jiggle the shifter while in park and see if it helps; I had to replace mine when I got the truck. Common-enough issue that the local dealer keeps them in stock.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM

didn't work, thanks though
Old 05-14-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

If jiggling shifter didn't work, doesn't mean the switch isn't bad. Did you crawl under to inspect that it rotates properly as someone moves the shifter?

Snap a shifter cable? Re-reading the post, this sounds like a more probable issue, possibly snapped due to frozen switch.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 AM

I had a similar problem a while ago. It will not start because it is in gear (probably reverse) because it rolled back, otherwise it would be to hard to spin. (Like why people put manuals into gear when they park). But the what that I fixed it was I opened up the center concle and pulled off the center trim (pistol shifter) and there is a connector to the shifter that had come disconnected (hence the loose feel) that I just had to hold onto the shifter. I drove with it like this for a while but putting a new grommet on is pretty easy and definitely worth not having to check on your shifter alot.

Sorry for the grammar errors hopefully it makes sense

Kevin

Quick Reply: Shift Lock Issues