Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rotational Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rotational Squeak

I have had a squeak in my tires for some time now.. ford dealership said everything is tight. IT does it while turning and straight forward.. I don't understand what could be making the squeak, but the faster i go the faster the squeak. if i go real slow.. it will would sound as though pressure seems to be putting weight on something to make a squeak.. It's very strange.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Nothing rattle canned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the inside of the rims for peeling chrome hitting on the rotor. I assume you already checked the brake pads weren't on the indicators?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM

I just checked my tire pressure my tires call for 50 psi they had low 30ish it helped a little I'm gonna drive around and see if it works better the warmer they get.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Bump! still making the squeak sound on both front tires... kind of gets quieter when turning... and stops if i spray water into the wheel well... i've been told all components were tight... what could be making it squeak??

And no.. when i hit the brakes.. it makes no difference, it just slows down the squeak as the speed gets slower...
Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 07. Ended up being a hub. $230 for the part; pretty easy diy.

Strip it all down and see if your hub has any play. The noise will probably get progressively worse as time goes on. Mine started as a minor squeal when turning, then squeal when going straight, finally grinding crunching on my way to get the part.

Last edited by Kennyidaho; 05-11-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 AM

How do u check if the hub has play?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that my new hub had no play in any direction (besides rotation) while my old hub wiggled a lot. There is two parts, a part with the lug posts and a part that bolts to the truck.

Now that I am at a computer and can type I'll give a bit more info on my issue.

Mine started out as a squeal only when turning right. As the weight of the truck shifted to the drivers side tire it would start to squeal. At first I thought it was a rock rubbing against the rotor but couldn't see any large grooves. After washing the truck I noticed it got better too. Finally I broke down and took it to Les Schwab and they could find nothing - the guy said if he had to guess he would guess it was the hub. They quoted me a little over $400 for the job.

Not very impressed with Les Schwab I let it go for a while. The squeal got worse (of course); it was now louder and starting to happen while driving straight too. The squeal would stop if the tires got wet or if I turned left (took the weight off it) or hit a bump etc. Eventually after trying some antisqueal grease on the breaks the hub started to grind and pop.

Long story short I eventually bought a hub and some bearing grease from Autozone (only place that had it in stock) and changed it in my driveway. I am not very handy with cars so I carefully took it all apart and put the new one on. It took me an hour or so, if I would have none what I was doing it would have been a lot faster.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2011, 03:20 PM

Ok sounds like mine... I found two hubs with a one year warranty and 20 bucks of a set of two with free shipping for 244! Same site had oem hubs for 193 EACH! Talked to the site and they said same product and same quality... we will see but now they are on there way... my truck only has 59000 miles!

PS... until then I am taking the water hose and spraying the inside of my tires.. I feel that of it stops it from squeaking its only helping the bearings from being completely dry....

Last edited by fend2ride; 05-11-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM

awesome... i just had my driveside hub swapped out with no success.. still have a squeak! UGH.. what else can squeak like that? Possibly a dry rotted tire?

Quick Reply: Rotational Squeak