Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Reverse sensors quit working

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Reverse sensors quit working

I have the reverse sensors on my '07 and they have recently stopped working. I have seen a couple threads on here with similar issues, but I was wondering if anyone has a solution to getting them to work again w/out taking it to the dealership?

I have tried a few tests on them to see if I could figure out what is wrong with them, but I haven't had any success. Here is what I have tried...

1) Put the truck in reverse and listened for the "ticking" sound. The sensor on the outside passenger side had a very faint "tick" compared to the others, but I could still hear it so I am assuming all the sensors are working.

2) Disconnected each sensor individually and put the truck in reverse. When I did this, I first started the truck with all 4 connected and put it into reverse. I would hear 6-7 beeps, and then it would shut off. I started on the passenger side by disconnecting this one first. When I started the truck, I heard 3 beeps, and then it shut off. The same happened for the sensor closest to the license plate on the passenger side. The next sensor (just left of the plate) made no sound at all when it was the disconnected sensor, and the one on the far left (drivers side) made the 3 beeps and then shut off.

The problems first started intermittently, where sometimes the sensors would work, and other times they wouldn't. When they stopped working, the "Off" light would illuminate on the button and it would not let me turn them back on. I could shut the truck off, and then start it again and I could use the button again to turn them on and off. Now it's to the point where as soon as I put it into reverse and either start to let off the brake, or wait about 4-5 seconds, they sensors shut off and quit working.

I stopped at a local Advance Auto Parts and the guy told me that Ford hasn't released any schematics on the Reverse Sensor System, so they didn't even carry any parts for it. He said I would have to take it to a dealership to get it fixed.

I have an extended warranty, but I have a $100 deductible that I have to pay and if there is any way that I can fix this myself for under $100, I would like to try.

It seems like all of the connectors around the sensors were ok. None of them appeared to be corroded or damaged. The problems did start soon after I washed it for the first time this spring. I don't know if that is just a coincidence or not, but I did spray water up on the inside of the rear bumper (where the wires for these sensors are laying) because there is a lip on the inside of the bumper that was full of wet "junk" that had accumulated there from the winter. The wires for both of the outside sensors were covered up from everything that had accumulated in the bumper until I washed it all out. I just used a regular garden hose so it wasn't a high pressure spray, but I guess it still could have damaged something.

Any ideas on what to check next, or should I just bite the bullet and let the warranty cover it?
The following users liked this post:
Petey123 (01-13-2013)
Old 04-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM

I have the same problem with my 05. I didn't really use them but now that they don't work it bothers me. Atleast I only have a 50 dollar deductable so maybe I will just take it to the dealership. I also have a very ruff idle once in a while so maybe they can kill 2 birds with one stone.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

From the service manual: The parking aid system is disabled if a fault is detected in 1 of the 4 sensors, the parking aid speaker or the parking aid module. This is indicated by the parking aid disabled indicator illuminating when the vehicle is put into REVERSE.

I doubt it's the speaker, and IIRC each of the sensors and the module are >$100 each. Warranty would probably be the most cost effective solution.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 PM

sob......funny i bout the truck at the end of march....05 fx4.....washed it and i too have no working reverse sensors.....
Old 04-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks GatorB8...that's good to know.

I was hoping I could get the sensors for <$100 and just do it myself, but from the sounds of it, I think I will just let the warranty cover it. I think Ford should have done a little better R&D on this system since it seems to quit working so easily. Granted it is an electrical component, but the location of the wiring (inside the rear bumper) is in an area that is prone to water, dirt, rocks, etc.

I'll probably wait until I have some other reason to take it to the shop because I don't want to spend $100 now to fix it and then have it turn around and quit working again.

Quick Reply: Reverse sensors quit working