Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear Power Window

Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Power Window

I have an opportunity to pick up a power rear window for a fair price and was wondering if it would be a worth installing. Would there be wiring harness there for one behind the rear seat. Has anyone done a swap yet that might have some good insight for me?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think a harness would be back there, but you need a switch too....
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have a scab or a screw? Was it offered on the crew? I have a scab and I would find it worth the hassle. To me, on a screw i wouldn't. If there is no harness there, you will be looking at wiring it too.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Not all truck models are wired for every option that Ford offered. The chances are better for you if you have one of the "higher end" type models, such as a Lariat, King Ranch, etc.

The best thing to do before buying would be to remove the rear panel (below the rear window) to see if your truck was pre wired for the power rear window, and to remove the panel were the switch would be located to see if that harness is in place. Then buy the window and switch.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It was offered on the screw and there should b a harness back there but if I was u id rip apart ur back first and see.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just installed a power rear slider in my STX supercab...no harness...If you dont get the harness i just used some female spade connectors to plug to the motor...you will need a pair of relays for switching...then the fun starts for the switch you will need to open and close it. If you go with an oem switch there are 5 wires. two are for lighting the switch...the other three are for controlling the relays. start to finish took me a couple of hours and one extra person to help taking out the window and installing the new one.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by hotairgypsy
I just installed a power rear slider in my STX supercab...no harness...If you dont get the harness i just used some female spade connectors to plug to the motor...you will need a pair of relays for switching...then the fun starts for the switch you will need to open and close it. If you go with an oem switch there are 5 wires. two are for lighting the switch...the other three are for controlling the relays. start to finish took me a couple of hours and one extra person to help taking out the window and installing the new one.
Did you happen to log the color codes of the factory wires to the relays you installed? If you could explain which of the three wires that control the rear window to which post of the relay(s), that would be of help.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Did you happen to log the color codes of the factory wires to the relays you installed? If you could explain which of the three wires that control the rear window to which post of the relay(s), that would be of help.

boy you just want everything dont ya!!!! i can do this based on the pins...give me some time and will have it all up...
Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by hotairgypsy
boy you just want everything dont ya!!!! i can do this based on the pins...give me some time and will have it all up...
Just thinking it could be a good addition to our existing sticky we have going on this forum on common and useful topics.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Just thinking it could be a good addition to our existing sticky we have going on this forum on common and useful topics.

you know i am just messing with ya...i will be more than happy do make it happen..

.I used the switch from a FX4 and my wiring worked based on my diagram. I have seen another switch which looked identical but illumination worked out differently. what was the same was the lines i marked as the ground and switches. not the illumination.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Power Window-rearsliderswitch.jpg  

Last edited by hotairgypsy; 08-09-2011 at 05:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hotairgypsy:
Marc Jackson (01-24-2021), mrtexasfreedom (12-01-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Power Window