Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rattle,shake and stalling after cold start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle,shake and stalling after cold start

I have a 2005 5.4 Lariat, currently sits at 208,xxx. Well just to cover what has started, I was getting the slight bit of chain rattle a while back and it would come and go nothing to serious it was so slight. Well I changed my oil about a month ago and got some free mobile one oil that was a heavy weight and free wix oil filter. The oil was 10w30, the other day I go to start the truck and right as it starts it has the worst rattle ever, I have read every thread possible and I listened and the sound is coming by the passenger side valve cover. I’m sure it’s carrying the sound there. Well the weird part that has me stumped and I can’t find anything on is once the truck warms up it drives fine and the rattle goes away. Now if I try to drive with the rattle the truck completely misses and sounds like only 4 cylinders are working. I’m leaning towards guide tensioners are bad but I’m lost at why once the truck get to full temp it goes away and drives fine. I changed the oil today motor craft 5w20 and oil filter also. Hoping it would stop but still the same thing. Why would it be so bad at start up then just stop. I wanna get some free back before I start dumping mass amounts of money into it since I already put a lot of money into this truck. Thank you!!!
Old 02-17-2018, 04:22 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default well in my opinion

Yes your tensioners are probably bad as well as guides . Chain is stretched and is eating on timing cover on and off . Depending on size of leaks of tensioner it may warm up and oil finally applying a enough tension to quiet it down .
Looking in the oil pan for plastic and cleaning out blockage of oil pickup is simple and informative. It can raise oil flow and pressure . Of course you must do a timing job if there .
If you let timing chain break or oil flow to be blocked then you are looking at a reman .
With your miles what do you want, another 100k on this engine ? If thrust washers to bad on crankshaft -then no . Valve train up top-- is cam and journals okay ? If not then no . Can you do timing job yourself and put 1400 in parts ?If not then a reman is for you .
Check it out-- look her over get some pictures come back and get some input .

Quick Reply: Rattle,shake and stalling after cold start