Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power locks wont work

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power locks wont work

2005 F-150 XLT
I had an issue a few days ago where my keypad wouldn't light up or work at all. Then when I turned on my truck the power windows nor the power locks worked at all either. I then started taking apart the driver door panel and began to wiggle some wires. All of sudden it was going on and off. Come to find out one of the wires that runs from the driver door into the bottom of the steering wheel was loose. I connected it back together and now all my windows work, but My power locks still don't work. looked for anything else out of place, but everything else seems good. Any ideas what it might be?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Last edited by J.Rocha; 11-29-2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I would suggest the whole master switch plate be replaced, but it's easy enough to take it off and clean the switch contacts real good first. You might fix it for free.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
I would suggest the whole master switch plate be replaced, but it's easy enough to take it off and clean the switch contacts real good first. You might fix it for free.
Yeah I'm going to clean it and look around again. I'm pretty sure nothing is broken. I think it's just a loose wire or something. I just don't know how to track it down.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:22 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,579 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Its not that the switch is broken, the copper contacts get a black residue built up on them and when you clean that off, all is well. Worked like a charm on my 07.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:16 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The easiest way to troubleshoot these types of problems is to purchase a test light (looks like a screwdriver with a light bulb and ground wire) or a multi-meter (better, as you can use a multi-meter for more troubleshooting issues, such as ground issues). Probing for power at the switch(s), or at connectors will help you isolate where the missing power (or ground) is in the circuit.
As others mentioned, you can clean the contacts of the switches themselves, but if this does not resolve the problem, then a test light or multi-meter is going to be your best tool for locating the problem.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Summers22
Its not that the switch is broken, the copper contacts get a black residue built up on them and when you clean that off, all is well. Worked like a charm on my 07.
What do you recommend to clean it with?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
The easiest way to troubleshoot these types of problems is to purchase a test light (looks like a screwdriver with a light bulb and ground wire) or a multi-meter (better, as you can use a multi-meter for more troubleshooting issues, such as ground issues). Probing for power at the switch(s), or at connectors will help you isolate where the missing power (or ground) is in the circuit.
As others mentioned, you can clean the contacts of the switches themselves, but if this does not resolve the problem, then a test light or multi-meter is going to be your best tool for locating the problem.
Good idea. I have both a test light and a multimeter. I just don't know where the wire runs through so I can trace it in case the contact of the switch isn't indicating power or ground.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Rocha
Good idea. I have both a test light and a multimeter. I just don't know where the wire runs through so I can trace it in case the contact of the switch isn't indicating power or ground.
Gotcha. I keep forgetting that not everyone has a factory wiring book. I always buy one for the vehicles I own and work on; EBay has them for cheap, as folks are always selling them off when they sell their vehicle.

I paid 10 bucks for my 2007 Ford factory wiring book. Best 10 bucks spent on a non performance type purchase!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,579 Likes on 6,196 Posts

I cleaned my contacts using q-tips dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

Quick Reply: Power locks wont work