Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Post Game on 2" Level Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Game on 2" Level Install

I decided to post about my experience on the recent self install on the 2" Motofab Leveling kit I recently purchased for my 08 F150 XL 4.2v6.

I ran the original 235s until it was time for new tires when I got the truck in 10. At that time I opted for 255s Falken Wildpeak. All the while knowing I would want to go bigger down the line.

Decided on 285s and new 17x9 wheels so I was then well on my way to leveling out the truck for clearance and looks.

I'd had previous experience with my f150 for the 7 years I've had it replacing alternator, plugs, coils, brake pads... Things I felt I could do at home with basic tools and elbow grease. After weeks of researching posts and calling around I decided to try the install my self and was ultimately successful but not without a few hiccups along the way.

Once I had the truck raised and the tires off I began to wonder if I should have just had it installed by one of the several places I'd called as I looked at the sway bar, tie rod, and upper ball joint. I decided to dive in anyways.

First I encountered a problem of spinning bolts on both the sway bar and tie rods.
Secondly "a few whacks" was not even close to what was needed to remove tie rod and upper joint from wheel knuckles.
Next I was unsure of if there was a top & bottom to the spacer and if there was a passenger side and a driver side.
Once placed on strut and strut set back in its place I struggled with getting things lined back up in order to connect ball joint and then tie rod.
A trip to OReillys parts store was made where I was able to rent a coil compression tool in order to help.
Tightening and torque was next and it was finished on passenger side.
Drivers side went a little smoother in that I knew the steps and wasn't afraid to beat the crap out of the knuckles to undo tie rod and ball joint.
Eventually things were put back together.

So what did I learn?
My auto skills were about a 4 (on a 10 high scale) when I thought they were closer to 6 or 7.
I'm also glad I had an extra set of hands and an air compress available for tools.
Also, I thought I had read enough but ultimately could have been more informed as well as watched more videos.
I had all necessary tools and area and I'm glad I did it myself but I definitely would lean to having it done by someone else next time. It made for a long Sunday afternoon as the whole project took me just over 4 hours. (That includes the occasional step back and ask WTF, 3 beers, and the trip to OReillys.)

Many guys have done those before I'm sure but I came across many posts explaining and discussing and still came out of the other side feeling unprepared for the project. So I thought I'd share for the next average joe looking to include blood & sweat on his upgrade.

Before

After

285/70/17 Pathfinder AT & Vision Off Road Raptor 17x9

Last edited by DSaw25; 08-16-2016 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-16-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had a 2" lvl kit sitting in the box now for a few months. I'm no closer to giving this a shot.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Czuber
I have had a 2" lvl kit sitting in the box now for a few months. I'm no closer to giving this a shot.
With the right tools it's not hard at all. You need to be slightly mechanically included to take it on, but with YouTube videos, you shouldn't have a problem.

I've done a couple different sized levels (spacers) and have also replace every front end component in my truck. I'd never done it before that and looking back, it definitely wasn't the hardest thing in the world.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Agreed with all of the above. I struggled my first time under there just because I didn't have ANY of the right tools. None of it was hard stuff, if you have the tools its quite easy... But like you it took me a few trips to the auto shop, a few beers, scratching my head, and a couple extra hands.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by berty
Agreed with all of the above. I struggled my first time under there just because I didn't have ANY of the right tools. None of it was hard stuff, if you have the tools its quite easy... But like you it took me a few trips to the auto shop, a few beers, scratching my head, and a couple extra hands.
Exactly! But after doing it once and looking back, it really isn't a bad job at all.

The only things that makes it tough is if you have original upper ball joints that have been on there for years and you want to resuse them.

I swapped my upper bjs when I did my first level, so getting them off was really easy if you don't mind trashing them!

Anything 1/2" to about 1.5" is pretty easy. I've heard anything 2"-2.5" can be a little tough to put back together.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:26 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
Exactly! But after doing it once and looking back, it really isn't a bad job at all.

The only things that makes it tough is if you have original upper ball joints that have been on there for years and you want to resuse them.

I swapped my upper bjs when I did my first level, so getting them off was really easy if you don't mind trashing them!

Anything 1/2" to about 1.5" is pretty easy. I've heard anything 2"-2.5" can be a little tough to put back together.
I did a 2.5 and it was more difficult to slide in. Basically got a big wrecking bar and sat the bottom of the strut ontop of it and pried down on the LCA until the lower strut slid off the bar and into the slot in the LCA. Took a bit of leverage and a couple tries, like 3 minutes of struggle but that was far from the hardest part. The lower strut bolt for me was the bitch to get, we sat on it with like 400lbs of man on a breaker bar and an impact gun on the other side.

Quick Reply: Post Game on 2" Level Install