Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Possible trans issue. Suggestions?

Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible trans issue. Suggestions?

I was driving home from work yesterday and for the first part of my trip was going between 55-65mph then went to bumper to bumper traffic ranging from 0-10mph for about 20 mins. I don't sit through this every day but it's not uncommon. So I get to my exit which lets me speed up for the exit just to go down and wait in traffic again. As I was getting up to speed at about 35mph I noticed I wasn't getting any power (like it was in neutral). I was getting to a stopping point anyway so just coasted there. When I tried taking off every thing was fine. From this point in my trip I could go through neighborhoods and never really get up past 35 but tried again and it did the same thing. I let the truck rest over night and have not driven it this morning but will be soon. I was going to get my oil changed today so was thinking about maybe getting my trans fluid changed too. Should that help? Any other suggestions?

The truck is at about 49K right now.

Last edited by Hondu; 04-01-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: Drove it in to work this morning and still having the issue. Seems like it is shifting into neutral instead of 3rd gear. I drove it in 2 on the way in. Any help would be great.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If it is a tranny issue, changing the trans oil could make things worse. It could move broken parts and create a bigger issue. Was there any popping noise Prior or a feel of a slipping? Did you try turning off OD and see if that makes a difference? I had transmission issues on my Explorer (lost everything at once from a stop light. Not stomping on it either.) And my F150 which ended up being the torque converter and would feel like it was going into nuetral at 50ish.).

Last edited by 4x4Fun; 04-01-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I agree that changing your trans oil could move broken parts or gunk around and have it shift worse than before but at this point (really i see no point in anyone neglecting changing their trans oil because if there are broken pieces, you don't know about them and it could leave you stranded and trans oil breaks down just like every other oil), I don't feel like you have much to loose. I know a lot of people stick to the idea of leaving the trans oil alone but I disagree.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible trans issue. Suggestions?