Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Plastic Timing Chain Guide - Replace with Alternate

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 05:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Plastic Timing Chain Guide - Replace with Alternate

Hi guys,
I have to replace the timing chain guides on 2004 5.4 with 77,000 miles.
I feel dumb putting more plastic in this engine.
Is there a metal replacement?
and do I need the tensions - rock Auto part # confirmation would be appreciated...
Thank you,
Jeff
This came out of the oil pan.
The screen was clogged and the pump stopped.
She ran for 2 minutes with no oil. Still runs, but way not cool.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:44 AM

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

OEM is best along with regular preventive maintenance.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I am replacing phasers, chains, guides, improved oil pump, tensioners and crank sprocket if it was my truck. The guides failed for a reason and will again unless you take action.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Guides fail not because they are plastic, but because of chain slap due to failed tensioners. The upgraded tensioners, while still hydraulic, have internal springs that by themselves do a pretty good job of maintaining tension. Yes, the chains will stretch as they wear, but assuming the internal spring stays together, there should always be tension on the chain, at least enough to keep it from slapping around. The tension piston can't fully retract as the old ones do. The seal seems to be upgraded as well.

Plastic guides are fine, you don't want a metal guide. Think about it: the chain-guide interface isn't a smooth, regular bearing surface, it is quite rough and irregular. Metal on metal here would just put a lot of metal into the engine. I personally don't like metal floating around in the engine.

What you want to use are Ford replacement parts; aftermarket, cheap parts (i.e. most of what you'll get off Rockauto) are a crap shoot, a gamble. There's far too much money and labor involved to be a gamble. There was a thread on here a couple months ago where a guy had to tear apart his engine 2-3 times before even driving the truck before finally springing for Ford parts, because the aftermarket phasers instantly failed.

Quick Reply: Plastic Timing Chain Guide - Replace with Alternate