Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Knock after timing kit change

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock after timing kit change

To start I have a 05 5.4l that recently went dead after the tensioner guides successfully clogged up the pick up tube. Cruising on the interstate and oil pressure tanks, loud bang and then limped to the side of the road.

Took it all apart. New phasers, new tensioners,new guides, new VVT solenoids, new CPS, new high output oil pump, new pick up tube, clean oil pan, new plugs, new COPs. Start her up and she runs.

Except she runs like crap. It'll get up to speed and be fine but it's like it has half the power. After stopping it will die out sometimes. Unplug the VVT solenoids and it'll run a bit better, not like new but it doesn't die.

When everything is plugged in, I'll get timing codes, but they'll be random and I can't replicate them. Unplugged, no codes.

And the only other symptom I can find is a very rythmic knock coming from around the oil pan, but when I looked everything down there seemed fine.

I'm at a loss, and at this point want to scrap the thing.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

What brand parts did you use?

Does the knocking go away when you give it throttle, but become much more pronounced when you let off it and the engine comes back down to idle? Is the knocking there all the time or only at idle?

It's possible you spun a bearing from no oil pressure... but let's look elsewhere first.

Quick Reply: Knock after timing kit change