Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Pioneer Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Pioneer Radio Reception

Have a Pioneer DVD/Nav unit installed. Its the AVIC-Z140-BH unit.

My radio reception os not very good. Wondering if anyone else has the same issue and/or if there are any tricks to getting good reception w these units.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Ford Dealership

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Im not familiar with your unit in particular. But reception isnt usually the head units fault. Did you have good reception with your factory head unit? Did you do the install yourself? I would start by checking the wiring from the antannae to the head unit. Make sure the plug is connected all the way. Hope this helps get you closer to answer.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Have you checked the antenna connection ALL THE WAY from the radio to the fender antenna? Sometime in 2006 I believe, Ford changed the antenna conector on the back of the radio from a "male" type plug to a "Chrysler" type connector. I'll assume this is not the issue (radio install shops sell adaptors to convert). If you do have this new style plug going into the radio, check that the tiny wire is not bent or missing at the radio side. When I bought a factory GPS head unit from a person on this site, they attempted to cram an older style antenna plug into the late model head unit, breaking the tiny wire in the radio antenna socket. I ended up fixing that by cutting a bobby pin, sticing it into the antenna adapter, then plugging that into the radio to literally replace the tiny wire. If this is not the case, then read below.

Drop the glove box door all the way down by pulling in on the sides. You should now see the connection of the short "radio coax" to "outside antenna coax connector". Verify these two connectors are plugged together. If an installer did the work, perhaps this got seperated during the install/removal of the old headunit. Ford did this two piece coax setup to allow the outside antenna base to be somewhat easier to replace without having to "fish" a 10 foot coax all the way to the radio. If it's plugged in, unplug it and see if the reception is the same, indicating the outside antenna and it's cable are "open". If the outside antenna and/or it's coax are faulty, a new one can be bought from Ford for under 30 bucks, but it's a pain to install, as the passenger side inner fender plastic has to be unbolted from the fender; enough for you to get a hand up inside and feed the new coax part into the front part of the firewall, then to the short coax that connects to the radio (behind the glovebox as stated earlier).

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 06-25-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I hope the conenctor is the issue. I got much better reception with the stock radio.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM
YPJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Sometime in 2006 I believe, Ford changed the antenna conector on the back of the radio from a "male" type plug to a "Chrysler" type connector.
Curious as well since my 06's radio reception diminished when I installed my new stereo (Pioneer AVH-P2400BT). I ordered from Crutchfield and the "Chrysler adapter" was included, but definitely not needed. My antenna cable had the large plug that fit right into the stereo without any problems (like the picture).
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Interesting that two different people are having reception issues with a pioneer unit. Might want to contact them if the antenna tests out good. Here's what the "Chrysler" adapter looks like (costs about 9 bucks):
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 06-26-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Radio Reception