Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front tire locked up while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Front tire locked up while driving

So today me and my cousin did a brake job on my truck. On my way home from his shop i heard a ping on the bottom of my truck (like a rock) and i never though anything of it. So when i started to brake for the stop sign the truck started to bounce up and down a couple of inches. I pulled over and called my cousin and he said turn around and come back up to the shop. So on my way back every time i hit the brakes the truck hopped and shakes more and more. At another intersection when i stopped for the sign the truck shook like crazy. So I proceeded through the intersection and the wheel locked up and the ABS light came on. When i got to the other side of the road i pulled over and called my cousin again and he was going to meet me on the side of the road where i pulled over. So when i was waiting for him i walked around the truck and noticed that my front passenger rim was scratched down to the aluminum. When he arrived he slide under the truck and found out the caliper bracket bolt backed out and caused the caliper to bind against the rim and caused the vibration. We moved the bolt from the bottom of the caliper to the top to prevent the pendulum affect that chewed up the rim. I limped the truck back to the shop using back roads and I called the ford dealer to get a new bolt, the did have some in stock which was good but kinda of worrying at the same time. We got the new bolt in a re torqued them but also put a mark on the bolt/part to see if they will backout again, when i got home from the 40 min drive i looked at the bolts and luckily the didn't move this time. the wierd part of this incident is that we torqued the bolts in the first place, so i don't know how the bolts backed out. So i don't know if this is a problem hence the dealer having a lot of the bolts in stock.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something similar to this happened to me before. I had just gotten back from a deployment, and been driving the truck for about a week or so and the front left CV axle boot blew. I decided to replace the axle since I started hearing this awful grinding noise. It was about a week before I got around to changing the axle, but during that week or so I kept driving the truck, and I realized that I really only heard the noise while braking, and thought that it was weird since the two don't really tie into each other. Once I got the truck on the lift, and removed the wheel I decided to do a once over on the brake to see what the noise was, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary so I went straight to removing it. I got the proper sized wrench, and started feeling for the bottom caliper mount bracket bolt, and didn't feel anything, so I stuck my head back there, and to my disbelief the bolt was completely 100% gone, no evidence of breaking off or anything. So I just assumed that I had forgotten to reinstall it after I did ball joints. So I called ford and got a new bolt, drove down to the dealership, and installed it in the drive when I got home. Maybe it too had backed out like yours, but it was nowhere near severe as you described it... Just pulled a little more to the left when I braked, and had that grinding noise. The inside of the rim was scarred a little aswell.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Canuck with a truck

Originally Posted by 05F150XLT
Something similar to this happened to me before. I had just gotten back from a deployment, and been driving the truck for about a week or so and the front left CV axle boot blew. I decided to replace the axle since I started hearing this awful grinding noise. It was about a week before I got around to changing the axle, but during that week or so I kept driving the truck, and I realized that I really only heard the noise while braking, and thought that it was weird since the two don't really tie into each other. Once I got the truck on the lift, and removed the wheel I decided to do a once over on the brake to see what the noise was, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary so I went straight to removing it. I got the proper sized wrench, and started feeling for the bottom caliper mount bracket bolt, and didn't feel anything, so I stuck my head back there, and to my disbelief the bolt was completely 100% gone, no evidence of breaking off or anything. So I just assumed that I had forgotten to reinstall it after I did ball joints. So I called ford and got a new bolt, drove down to the dealership, and installed it in the drive when I got home. Maybe it too had backed out like yours, but it was nowhere near severe as you described it... Just pulled a little more to the left when I braked, and had that grinding noise. The inside of the rim was scarred a little aswell.
Ya that's weird how your caliper never swung out of its seating position but mine did.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by f150skidoo
So today me and my cousin did a brake job on my truck. On my way home from his shop i heard a ping on the bottom of my truck (like a rock) and i never though anything of it. So when i started to brake for the stop sign the truck started to bounce up and down a couple of inches. I pulled over and called my cousin and he said turn around and come back up to the shop. So on my way back every time i hit the brakes the truck hopped and shakes more and more. At another intersection when i stopped for the sign the truck shook like crazy. So I proceeded through the intersection and the wheel locked up and the ABS light came on. When i got to the other side of the road i pulled over and called my cousin again and he was going to meet me on the side of the road where i pulled over. So when i was waiting for him i walked around the truck and noticed that my front passenger rim was scratched down to the aluminum. When he arrived he slide under the truck and found out the caliper bracket bolt backed out and caused the caliper to bind against the rim and caused the vibration. We moved the bolt from the bottom of the caliper to the top to prevent the pendulum affect that chewed up the rim. I limped the truck back to the shop using back roads and I called the ford dealer to get a new bolt, the did have some in stock which was good but kinda of worrying at the same time. We got the new bolt in a re torqued them but also put a mark on the bolt/part to see if they will backout again, when i got home from the 40 min drive i looked at the bolts and luckily the didn't move this time. the wierd part of this incident is that we torqued the bolts in the first place, so i don't know how the bolts backed out. So i don't know if this is a problem hence the dealer having a lot of the bolts in stock.
You sure you didn't just hand tighten it???? Here's a story!!!! I had tires put on at Dunn tire and they only hand tightened the front left and I was going down a steep hill on a major route and the tire fell off. Nearly rolled the dam thing!!! funny part was a state trooper seen it all go down and he gave me a ride back to the shop so they could call a tow truck.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Canuck with a truck

Originally Posted by ToughFX4
You sure you didn't just hand tighten it???? Here's a story!!!! I had tires put on at Dunn tire and they only hand tightened the front left and I was going down a steep hill on a major route and the tire fell off. Nearly rolled the dam thing!!! funny part was a state trooper seen it all go down and he gave me a ride back to the shop so they could call a tow truck.
Hey i watched my cousin tighten them.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago on my 05. Gouged the **** out of the rim. Bottom bolt was completely gone. Same thing happened on my wife's Expedition too. I'd say it's a pretty common problem. I put loctite on the new bolt.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

litterly the same exact thing happend to me, bolt came off on the highway and didnt notice untill i tried to back up. the truck was hopping becuz the caliper was hitting the rim and scrached a ring around it
Old 06-24-2012, 06:34 AM
kanga2311 FISO

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, happened to my wife in our 98 F150. She drove back home 60 on the freeway. I checked everything over, found a big gouge in the wheel, but tire was holding air. The next morning it was flat. I decided I better replace the wheel. Make sure you check your wheel, the integrity of the wheel could be greatly diiminished. You wouldn't want it exploding on you.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya that's weird how your caliper never swung out of its seating position but mine did.
It did, and put a gouge all the way around the wheel... I just never experienced hopping, the truck just pulled to the left while braking, do to the caliper pushing against the inside of the wheel.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Canuck with a truck

Tomorrow after work I'm going to pull the wheel off and see how much damage there is.

Quick Reply: Front tire locked up while driving