Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Open/Closed Loop Reading

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Open/Closed Loop Reading

Coming up to a stop light the other day my truck cut out. The only thing on the readout was "check gauges". After coasting to a stop I put it into park and it started right up and ran with no problems. I borrowed a code reader and there were no codes stored so IDK. I did wash under the truck the other day so maybe some water got onto something as I had not run it since.

I did get a reading on the open/closed loop that were:

Open Loop: 47.5
Closed Loop: 23.4

What are the normal readings for these on a 2004 XLT 5.4 Triton?
Old 03-31-2017, 09:04 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 630 Likes on 567 Posts

Default I'll answer you but danged if I know what you are talking about

I don't have a reader or torque pro yet / Don't worry the smart guys will come along and answer you . I am in the process of adding a bluetooth reader .
Old 04-01-2017, 12:48 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Wink

I'm not one of those smart guys @redfishtd is talking about, but I do understand a couple of things about open/closed loop - as there are several systems that operate in a open/closed loop fashion on our trucks. I am confused by the numbers '47.5' and '23.4' attached to any of them however.

The most common Open/Closed Loop term is a Binary (On/OFF) condition determining whether the PCM is using default injector pulse width (Open Loop), or adjusting injector pulse widths based on positive feed back readings from the upstream O2 Sensors (Closed Loop). That binary switch is represented readable on Scanners at PID 1103, but number 6. Bit 6 On=Open Loop Off=Closed Loop. The numbers you mention have no connection to this system.

The Fuel Pump Driver Module outputs duty cycle pulses to the fuel pump and modulates that in a 'closed loop' fashion to regulate Fuel Rail Pressure at the desired level - but less than 45.5 and more than 23.4.

The Variable Valve Timing System also operates in a 'closed loop' fashion. The PCM 'requests' a certain number of crankshaft degrees 'retard', activates the VCT solenoids to achieve that and monitors Cam Position Sensors to verify it is achieving the desired Cam Retard. Normal readings could cover those numbers you mentioned but they are all over the place.

All the above can be read directly. I can provide the PID numbers and formulas to read them with Torque Pro on a 2004 5.4, but definately need more information.