Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

OEM subwoofer plug breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default OEM subwoofer plug breakdown

OK guys and gals, I've got the info you want for the OEM subwoofer plug and wiring. I traced the wires from the small plug (sub) to the driverside kick panel. The wires are in their own lil wire loom all taped up nice and neat. It comes out of the main loom under the kick panel and goes into the main plug (see pics) in the upper left corner. If your truck dosen't have the small plug behnd the head unit then you will need to run all these yourself. If you have the wires for the sub, they will run from the back side of this main plug, down the driverside threshold to the back of the cab where it branches off to go under the carpet and get screwed to a white screw. If you don't want to pull the carpet, look for a little slit in the carpet and feel rearward about 4-6 inches and you should find the plug. In the pics is a pic of how the wire is ran to the subwoofer with the carpet pulled forward. You can just pull up the drivers rear threshold and see if you have the pigtail going under the carpet, seperate from the main wire loom running up behind the door to the auto belt tensioner, and the power rear slider plug (I believe that's what it is for as to how it's routed and where it goes) I think the pass side wire harness goes up to the rear cargo and third brake light. Here are the pics, pics are of the 3 plugs for the radio (4th is there also.. think it's for the steering wheel controls) pic od the main wire harness (thick black wire looking thing is the radio sub harness) pic of the white connector is the main plug under the driver kickpanel, the upper/left green wire you can see is one from the sub plug wire loom. other is of the sub plug itself behind the H/Unit. then pic of the wire harness as it sits on the floor under the carpet. Last pic is of the three plugs the radio has to have in order to run the sub. small plug on left (sub) med plug (aux/sirius ect) large is the main power, speakers, ect.) hope this all helps.
Attached Thumbnails OEM subwoofer plug  breakdown-p2020417.jpg   OEM subwoofer plug  breakdown-p2020415.jpg   OEM subwoofer plug  breakdown-p2020411.jpg   OEM subwoofer plug  breakdown-p2020413.jpg   OEM subwoofer plug  breakdown-subwoofer-plug.jpg  

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Doug the Dog (12-14-2012)
Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey FOMOCO466,
By any chance do you know the pin order for the male connector for the amp connection?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 AM

Default try this

take a look at this https://www.f150forum.com/f4/swapping-07-mustang-radio-07-f150-problems-16265/
Attached Files
File Type: doc
radio read out.doc (24.0 KB, 1409 views)

Last edited by FOMOCO466; 02-13-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but not quite what I was looking for. Probably my fault for not explain my side more. I'm trying wiring the male connector that plugs into the female connector of the amp. I know in theory what colored wires from the radio goes to what pin on the male amp connector. My problem is that the male connector that I have for the amp female connection does not indicate what the pin order is, simply, there is no indication of what pin is #1-#10 on the connector and all the pigtail wires are black.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 PM

Default take a look

I'll see what I can dig up, I saw it somewhere. here's a pic of the plug, zoom in on it, might help a little. here's this
Pin 3 HU -> Pin 9 Sub
Pin 1 HU -> Pin 7 Sub (Should be shielded)

Pin 2 HU -> Pin 8 Sub (Should be shielded)
Pin 4 HU -> Pin 1 Sub (Shield)

These 2 are wired separately:

Hot power +12V -> Pins 5 & 6 Sub
Ground -> Pins 2 & 3 Sub there should be tiny numbers on the plug
Attached Thumbnails OEM subwoofer plug  breakdown-subwoofer-plug.jpg  

Last edited by FOMOCO466; 02-13-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:54 AM

oo oo
78 910
o o o o o o <~~~~ amp pin numbers
1 2 3 4 5 6
Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM

Default sub wires

here are a few pics of the wiring for the sub.... if you have the plug behind the radio, but NOT in the back of the cab, the wires go to this plug and stop, you have to wire them into here (other side of the plug) the pic with my finger behind the wires is the front side of the plug coming down from behind the dash down to the kick panel area. the wires infront of my finger are the wires from the sub plug in back of the radio. you have to wire into these, or put pins and wires in the other plug (female side) for the two to connect and run them to the sub, you will also need to run a power and a ground.

I'm still trying to get someone who will show or answer where the power and ground comes from on the factory setup. I'd also like to see a close up pic of the factory plug for the sub to get a an (color) idea of where the wires go into the plug.

the female part of the plug snaps into the holder, release two tabs and it will push out backwards to ease the installation of the pins (i'm going to see about getting them from radio shack. (N O T E.... this plug connects the speakers in the doors too, when I pulled it apart all the speakers shut down, and I got a tone out of the dash, dome light wont work either.)
Attached Thumbnails OEM subwoofer plug  breakdown-p2190418.jpg   OEM subwoofer plug  breakdown-p2190417.jpg   OEM subwoofer plug  breakdown-p2190416.jpg  
Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by FOMOCO466
oo oo
78 910
o o o o o o <~~~~ amp pin numbers
1 2 3 4 5 6

THANK YOU! Now are these numbers in order if your lookin at the wire side or the pin (plug)side?
I have been forum/site hopping and registering in search of this info right here!
Glad i found your post over at f150online....
Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 AM

anyway to use the factory sub with aftermarket unit?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 AM

Default sure

yes, I've seen kits on Ebay, for the harness. type in f150 sub wiring, or radio wiring, you'll see it, some even have the rca plugs on them.

Quick Reply: OEM subwoofer plug breakdown