Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Nightmare Issues On Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts
Angry Nightmare Issues On Road Trip

Just wanted to share my experience with y'all.
This past weekend, we went to visit some family in AZ. Round trip was about 700 miles. The truck was perfect before we hit the road on Thursday night, minus the HVAC blend door actuator...more on that in a bit.... About 45 minutes into our drive, I noticed that the blinker was flickering very very fast, indicating a bad bulb. I confirmed this later down the road when I was filling up. Ok fine, that is easy enough. We get into Phoenix fine and nothing else to report for the day.
The next morning, we went offroading up to Crown King, AZ in a Yamaha Rhino. I towed the SxS out to the trails (VERY dusty). I noticed that my right headlight had gone out....again. This is the second replacement from GlowTek. No problem, I just swapped them with new Sylvania bulbs. On the way back home from the trails, I kept getting a door ajar message every few seconds. I was sure some dust got into the latch, causing the sensor to gum up. No problem again, just soaked the living h... out of it with PB Blaster.
Lastly, upon replacing the HVAC actuator, I noticed that I had ordered the wrong one. I got one with a 1/2" shaft and needed the longer one to be able to reach the gears in the dash. Having to borrow my aunts truck, Chevy Colorado (actually nice), we drive to 6 different part stores to try and track this part down. Thank you Napa warehouse in Phoenix, they were the only ones that had them in stock. I ended up getting a Dorman part...but it has a lifetime warranty on in, so worst case, I can just order a new one for free. Needless to say, this trip was a headache. I guess this is what happens when you drive an almost 10 year old truck. None the less, after all the issues were sorted out, I love my truck! It is back to cherry condition and crossing my fingers that nothing else goes out any time soon! Just wanted to share my experience with y'all.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

"Nightmare" is when you get stranded. At least it got you where you wanted to go.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:24 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

My nightmare was the brake caliper dropping, headed to west Virginia.
Glad to hear you have it figured out (sorta)!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I had to look up Chuco Town, TX. Turns out I lived there but never heard it called that. I always lived in the NE part of town.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Thats awsome man!! Glad the trip still went well.

Something to consider......seems a bit "coincidental" that you had two bulbs and the door ajar issue all so close together, and saying it was the second time for the headlight.

Point is, may be worth a once over of your wiring and connections to make sure there isnt something causing this.

Maybe it was coincidence and you have no more issues, atleast that is the hope!!!

Glad your back to top shape.

How bad was the blend door install? I got a buddy who's has went out and he's wanting me to fix it for him. Just curious.

Thakns
Old 12-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I wouldn't call that a nightmare by any stretch. Minor inconvenience maybe, nightmare no way.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Monks

Fine fine fine....It was a very serious "annoyance" lolThe blend door ACTUATOR install was simple, once I got the correct part. I watched this video and followed it. Now, if the door itself is bad, the whole dash needs to come out. Also, make sure he diagnoses which actuator is bad, as to there are a couple in there. Mine was stuck on heat, no matter what temp or ac setting.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Monks

Fun fact: it sounded like there were coins rolling around in my radio.... LOL
Old 12-20-2017, 11:33 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

But was there?, because....free money is free money.
Fun fact: my ac still farts every so often.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Monks

I shook it and nothing came out....

Quick Reply: Nightmare Issues On Road Trip