Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New wheel bearings...Oh what a difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheel bearings...Oh what a difference

First let me say that this may be widely known by others and sorta only makes sense. But I am still pleasantly surprised and thrilled. My 05 Lariat SuperCrew 5.4 2wd with 80k I bought used with 73k started making a terrible grinding noise whenever turning. So I jacked up the front end and played with the tires/wheels. Both sides were pretty loose so I figured bad wheel bearings. Did some research and found out you have to replace rotors, bearings, hub as one assembly on 2wd. Not to happy when I found out the local dealer wanted about $400 each just for the part. So I check Ebay and got a set, slotted & cross-drilled, and zinc coated with ceramic pads, etc. for $300 shipped from Ebay store Brakemotive (great seller on there as I have purchased before-Powerstop brand). Ordered on Monday evening and received Saturday via Fedex. Wow these suckers are substantial with lug bolts already installed. 40lbs a piece. Anyway, Installed them in 2 hours (my first truck brake job) and the difference is AMAZING. Braking is improved, tracking is improved, and the front end is SOLID as new, and I expected this to a point. Now the biggest impact to me...I have increased fuel mileage by 5mpg overall. What?? I couldn't believe it. Took a 150mi trip this weekend and averaged 19.5mpg 75% highway. I have never seen an average above 15mpg before just on the highway only. Those bearings must have been in horrible shape and I think they were original OEM. Sorry for the long post, but to anyone not sure and wondering why your MPG is lower then you think it should be, check your wheel bearings. Best $300 I have spent on a vehicle yet.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

5 MPG....???? Brakes must of been dragging too.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
5 MPG....???? Brakes must of been dragging too.
I had noticed that the front tires were sitting with a bit of negative camber (top of tires inward) as the bearings were loose. I suppose this could have caused portions of the brake pads to constantly rub against the rotor as it wasn't sitting true on the spindle. So you could definatelly be right about that.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man I would have investigated the moment I didnt get upwards of 20mpg on the hwy. I have high flow headers (Gibson Chrome Shortys) and get over 20 on the hwy (when my foot isn't in it).

Glad to hear you are pleased w/ your new set. Pics?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by VanoFord
Man I would have investigated the moment I didnt get upwards of 20mpg on the hwy. I have high flow headers (Gibson Chrome Shortys) and get over 20 on the hwy (when my foot isn't in it).

Glad to hear you are pleased w/ your new set. Pics?
This is my first truck so wasn't sure what fuel mileage I should be getting. I had heard 15-16mpg is normal but oh well. Live and learn. I'll try to take some pics of the new rotors tonight after work.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Atleast it only took you 7k miles to learn. Some guys are still "reading that lesson" pushin 80k.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:08 PM

I do my own brakes now because having someone else do them is highway robbery. The money I save on doing my own goes to buy new tools.

Doing the brakes hardly takes any time at all. Especially after you've done it once or twice.

Congrats on learning a new skill.

Tim
Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM

I wish I consistantly got the kind of mileage you had before the brake job. I took a trip to the mountains this past weekend and all highway driving got 16mpg
I normally mostly city/country, a little highway get between 12 and 13.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atvrider93
I wish I consistantly got the kind of mileage you had before the brake job. I took a trip to the mountains this past weekend and all highway driving got 16mpg
I normally mostly city/country, a little highway get between 12 and 13.

I get excited over 16 MPG.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:44 PM

ya, that was a record for me. and I dont even have big tires or anything

Quick Reply: New wheel bearings...Oh what a difference