Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New, not sure if this is the right place

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, not sure if this is the right place

I recently bought a 2004 F-150 FX4, 4x4, four door. Home for the holidays and Ohio is getting hammered with snow. While driving into town, I was caught in some serious snow in the West Virginia Mountains, popped it into four wheel and did about 35-40mph for several hours. Didnt notice any issues, assumed four wheel was working. Well, got stuck in my brothers driveway a few hours ago. 4x4 doesn't engage, and I am unsure why. Switch luminates both high and low on the gauge cluster, and I hear a click or noise in the transfer case. However, only the drivers side rear wheel spins(limited slip). Front tires do not spin, but I hear a click-click-click from the front drivers tire as my rear tire was spinning. I assume the hubs are not engaging. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also forgot to mention I engaged the four -high on the drive to my brothers. The roads are bad and I thought it was working...apparently not.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by GunTech2004
Also forgot to mention I engaged the four -high on the drive to my brothers. The roads are bad and I thought it was working...apparently not.
The teeth on your hubs are probably worn... You will likely have to replace both sides... Try the search function with the keywords IWE and HUBS.. There are a ton of recent threads showing the part I'm talking about and a the procedure to fix it.. It's not a tough job at all.

It could be the IWE solenoid itself on the passenger side firewall, but if you hear grinding then it appears its not an issue with the Vaccum required to actuate the hubs into 4x4.

Last edited by Especial86; 12-26-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: New, not sure if this is the right place