Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New 5.4 timing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 5.4 timing issue?

Hi all
So I've got a 5.4 timing problem I haven't run into. Just did phasers, chains, tensioners, crank sprocket, and guides on a 2004 5.4. All the parts were from Cloyes Precision timing.
The pickup ran and sounded great until it got hot, then started rattling, missing, and threw P0012 code. I believe the phasers stay locked until the engine reaches operating temp correct? I shut off the engine and restarted and it was perfect for about 30 seconds then same thing. I unplugged the passenger vvt solenoid and drove 30 minutes without issue. Stopped, restarted, idled, floored it, everything was great, Plugged the solenoid back in and immediately started missing and rattling. I installed a new Echelin solenoid from Napa and it did the same thing. I'm fairly certain the phaser must be faulty and is getting stuck until the engine is off? Or has someone run into something different? Why does it only reset when the engine is off? It doesn't quit if you just unplug the solenoid without shutting the engine off.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:43 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

After market phasers are all garbage . Bar none ,see ford tech malukoco on you tube . Also after market chains are not flat and smooth on top so they wear guides early .
Old 11-15-2021, 02:40 PM

Received 810 Likes on 714 Posts

If it runs great with the solenoid unplugged that is a good clue.
I would like to ask if the old chain guides were broke up? Did you put in a new oil pump, and if so high volume or standard?
Did you clean out the oil pan and pickup screen if the timing guides are broken, pieces fall into the pan and clog up the pickup screen.
Low oil pressure is one possible cause of your issues, because the vct system just plain does not work properly without sufficient pressure. Unplugging the solenoid disables it on that side. I'm not sure if unplugging one side will also disable the other side from working, but I would recommend taking a look at your oil pressure either way.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Paycheck (11-15-2021)

Quick Reply: New 5.4 timing issue?