Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help finding wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding wheel studs

To make a long story short(er), I have had my 2004 f150 SuperCrew Lariat for several years and have had absolutely no problems - been a great truck! I was attending a funeral a few weeks back and noticed that I had a flat tire at the ceremony. Afterwards, I put enough air (with a portable) to get to a station with air and when getting out of my truck I shut my driver's door and the window regulator plastic housing broke and the cable went flying and the window fell down. The next day I drove to Autozone, about 30 miles from my home, and on the way home started getting some major shaking. I pulled over and looked under the truck, grabbed and tried to move the tie rods, shake the wheels, driveshaft etc... and couldn't figure out what was loose. I thought maybe a balljoint had failed but couldn't tell. I decided to keep driving and when I got about a mile from my house, my front passenger side wheel fell off! I never even thought to check the lug nuts because they are covered by an aftermarket cap on structure 20" rims. The studs were sheared clean off the hub, ruining the rim in the process. The lug nuts are still on the studs so I don't know why this could have happened, as I always make sure they are very tight when I work on the vehicle.

So now I am needing to find new studs to put in the hub, which is supposed to be a very straightforward process. I checked online and via parts stores and everyone tells me they have studs that are for the 5 lug f150s like mine and the 8 lug f150s, but they don't have them for the 6 lugs and don't think they are compatible. Anyone know where I can get a part number or find them? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Rock Auto lists one part number for the studs for the '04-08, and it covers a bunch of years of F-series when you check the part info.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gone postal
Rock Auto lists one part number for the studs for the '04-08, and it covers a bunch of years of F-series when you check the part info.
I checked with RockAuto and the problem is that it is showing two types of hubs, one for the trucks with 5lugs and one for the trucks with 7 and 8lugs. The 5lug trucks use a 14mm stud and the 7&8lug trucks use a 12mm stud. The problem is that no database out there seems to list the ones for my truck, which is a 5 lug. I am going to go ahead and buy the 14mm studs and hope they are changeable.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lugs

bring a broken lug with you and measure it, Twice!!!

Quick Reply: Need help finding wheel studs