Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

need feedback on this one

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need feedback on this one

So i have a 2004 f-150 FX4 with the 3v 5.4 i will list my mods before explaning the situation.

custom exhaust kit 3.5 piping after cats into 1 SI/SO single chamber FM muffler.
K&N air intake kit
all new plugs(4 broke off as usual with this engine)
new fuel filter.
SCT Tuner- custom tuned while on the dyno

anyways I bought a boat(Ranger bass boat) and after about a week after towing it to and from the lake everyday, I was leaving the dock and when i got on the highway the engine started shuttering and lacked all power. I plugged in the tuner and it said misfire on cylinder 3. I put a new plug and COP on that cylinder and continued on. this worked for about three days, then the truck started up the same issue. I took it to an SCT Dealer here in the area and he said I had 5 of 8 cylinders missfiring. He checked the COPS and all were working, he said that my catalytic convertors were bogged up and the my cam phasers are bad, he said that it would cost 3,000 alone just to fix the cam phasers and he wasnt sure if that would even fix the misfire issue. Me in my infinite wisdom said heck no for that much I will just by a new engine. he recommended that along with a new engine i just have an offroad xpipe installing instead of purchasing new convertors. (ford wants 5,000 dollars for both sides parts alone).
So i ordered a reman engine from the folks at PROMAR. I went out and bought all new COPS, plugs, and various other switches and sensors. I am still in the process of putting on the valve covers and getting ready to drop it back in. I am wanting to know what others have experience with the off road xpipes as 5,000 dollars for new ford cats is out of the question. i paid 3,000 for the engine alone, why would i pay 5,000 for cats is beyond me and i dont know how anyone could afford that. does anyone have any advise for me before i finish the new install about the previous problem so that i can avoid the same issue with my new engine. the truck only had 104,000 miles on it and i keep up with the maintenance very well(who knows about maintenance upkeeps before i bought the truck).
i am just looking for some advice as this project has darn near broke my bank account I am hoping that the new engine will fix everything, and now that i have this much into it i will have to keep it for lord knows how many more years. I almost wish i would have just traded the darn thing in. please help me out with this as i dont want to waste a good engine. Thanks again. R.L.T.W.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Check the condition of your Fuel Pump Driver Module FPDM...located under the rear of your truck above the spare tire ...it gets corroded to the frame rail where it mounts and when it gets wet(boat ramp) may cause your condition.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I would have gotten the $80 magnaflow hi-flow cats from Summit or Jegs and ran those first. That and the cam lock-out kit would have been a lot cheaper to start with.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ak cowboy what is a cam lock out kit?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:04 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...epair-Kit.html

Quick Reply: need feedback on this one