Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

muffler replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default muffler replacement

Time to replace my original muffler on my 05 144.5 wb FX4.Looking to put on a Walker quiet flow ss.
The listing states you have to replace the intermediate, and tail pipe. Not sure I understand WHY.Use to just cut off the original welded muffler, and put on the replacement.As the original intermediate and tail pipe are stainless( and in great shape), and the replacements don't appear to be stainless, I hesitate on ordering the replacements stuff until I understand why I have to replace the pipes.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Steve
Old 12-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

What happened to the original?

If I was doing it, I'd go to the junkyard and pull one off a 09 or 10 (maybe up to '14) and take that to a shop. they might have to sort out the pipe ahead of the muffler, but that's not difficult. Stainless OEM, straight through, and sound real good.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:43 PM

My whole system is all stainless. The seam at the rear of the muffler let loose. The Walker muffler I'm looking at is stainless. That's why I'd like to re-use my intermediate, and tail pipe if possible. But the listing for all the mufflers I looked up said you have to replace the intermediate, and tail pipe, and I don't understand why.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't see that at their web site. Am I missing something?
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...g-lookup/21539
Old 12-04-2017, 07:49 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention I was on The Rock Auto site. The 21539 muffler is the one I was looking at. Just to make sure it was the right one, I looked it up on the auto Zone sight. And there was a note which said the same thing as the Rock Auto site. Which I don't understand as the pipes are 2.5", and inlet, and outlet of the muffler are sized for 2.5". So why do I have to get a new intermediate,and exhaust pipe I looked for a number for tech support, or a chat connection on Rock Auto; but there isn't any. I called corporate, and was informed there isn't any.And when you listed the Wagner site, I went DUH, why didn't you think of that Steve. So tomorrow I'll contact Wagner and see what they tell me.
Thanks to all for their input, it is appreciated.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:54 PM

There is a note that says you may need additional pipes if your muffler is welded on. I guess because you will be cutting some of the pipe off when you remove the old one. So in that case, if you come up a little short, you still don't two entire new pipes. Just buy the few inches you need.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Here's what I came up wit.Thanks to Montana Mark's Walker hot link. The body of the replacement muffler (21539) is 28" long. The total length including the inlet and outlet pipes is 32" long. I measured my original welded muffler on my truck, and the body is 31" long( it's welded, so no inlet and outlet pipe). If my math is right that means only 1/2" on both the intermediate, and tailpipe is all that I would have to fit in the inlet, and outlet of the muffler. I stopped into Auto Zone to see about a 4” extension pipe. I figured they had it; but to my surprise, they also had it in stainless ($8.99). Now I can order the muffler from Rock Auto, and keep my all stainless system, w/o having to buy a new stainless intermediate pipe and tail pipe, which would have added over $100.00 to the project.
Thanks for everyone’s input it is appreciated.
Steve
Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 05-FX4-Lariat
Here's what I came up wit.Thanks to Montana Mark's Walker hot link. The body of the replacement muffler (21539) is 28" long. The total length including the inlet and outlet pipes is 32" long. I measured my original welded muffler on my truck, and the body is 31" long( it's welded, so no inlet and outlet pipe). If my math is right that means only 1/2" on both the intermediate, and tailpipe is all that I would have to fit in the inlet, and outlet of the muffler. I stopped into Auto Zone to see about a 4” extension pipe. I figured they had it; but to my surprise, they also had it in stainless ($8.99). Now I can order the muffler from Rock Auto, and keep my all stainless system, w/o having to buy a new stainless intermediate pipe and tail pipe, which would have added over $100.00 to the project.
Thanks for everyone’s input it is appreciated.
Steve
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good plan :-)