Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Mirror question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 03:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Mirror question

So here's the story, my truck got backed into over the Christmas holidays. Dented my drivers door in and broke my mirror. I just got it back from the body shop this past Saturday and they have installed the wrong mirror on my truck!! I have power, heated, auto dim with turn signal. They have installed a base power mirror and to. Boot it's a used mirror!! My question is seeing I need to go back tomorrow and before I absolutely rip a strip off the guy. Are the plugs for all the mirrors for these trucks regardless of trim level the same? I'm really hoping they haven't messed with the wiring on my truck. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:59 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The 04's to 08's have the same mounting, and if it has the wiring plug (some of the cheaper trim models were not pre-wired), then you would be fine, as far as the plug is concerned. Ford would have used the same plug on those that did have the mirror options (power adjust, heated, etc), and wired them all for these options, so it's doubtful the repair shop would have needed to re-wire this plug, provided the used mirror was not from an earlier model year, but that would have been REAL obvious.

Wow, I'd think this repair shop will get into trouble for using used parts to make an insurance repair claim. Check with your insurance adjuster to make sure this is not allowed before you head over to the shop to blow off at them. At the very least, you would be intitled to a mirror that has all the options the damaged one had.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Mark

Received 2,420 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by ~07lariat~
So here's the story, my truck got backed into over the Christmas holidays. Dented my drivers door in and broke my mirror. I just got it back from the body shop this past Saturday and they have installed the wrong mirror on my truck!! I have power, heated, auto dim with turn signal. They have installed a base power mirror and to. Boot it's a used mirror!! My question is seeing I need to go back tomorrow and before I absolutely rip a strip off the guy. Are the plugs for all the mirrors for these trucks regardless of trim level the same? I'm really hoping they haven't messed with the wiring on my truck. Thanks in advance guys.
why did you accept the truck with the wrong mirror on it.. I would of told them right then and there...not taking it till the correct mirror is installed.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 AM

Thank you. It hasn't been a good experience with this shop. I live in a small town so there's only so many shops to go to that are close by. I know they'll make it right, but I was upset when it was the wrong mirror and chalked it up to **** happens but once I found out it was used it posses me right off considering my mirror before it was broken was in much better shape then the one installed. Makes me happy to know they haven't cut up my wiring though.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
why did you accept the truck with the wrong mirror on it.. I would of told them right then and there...not taking it till the correct mirror is installed.
I took it because my wife is due on Thursday and the rental had gone back and I need my truck. It's a half hour drive to the hospital and we live I a pretty good snow belt so 4x4 is needed if the snow is falling.
The following users liked this post:
jmb914 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Mark

Received 2,420 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Got ya... hope they make it right for you... and congrats on the newborn
Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know if they repaired the dent in the door or replaced the entire door?

It's possible that the mirror came with a used door and it's possible it came from an XLT which may or may not have the proper wiring harness.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:18 PM

Dent was repaired. Talked to him today. He was told by the insurance company to use used parts. I told him that is absolutely un acceptable and he needs to phone the insurance company and get something done about it. To many things can go wrong with a used mirror and then I'm going to be left with a repair bill on a new one because they put used parts on my car.

That call was around one today so I'm assuming he got a hold of the insurance company and it went well. I will call him again tomorrow to ensure new parts are being used.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking from a body shop owner. When you pay your insurance, it says in the paper work that they can use whatever parts they specify. We use "used" parts all the time.

Your opinion of, "to many things can go wrong with used parts" really doesn't hold much water. Your "used" mirror is just that, used. If your policy says they can use, USED parts, then thats just it. Used parts to replace used parts.

Now, if the used parts are in worse shape then yes, it needs to be changed. And a incorrect mirror, obviously needs to be swapped.

We guarantee the parts we install for as long as you own the vehicle.

Congrats on the child!

Just looking to give the other side of coin.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

So is your insurance covering the bill or is it the other persons insurance?

Quick Reply: Mirror question