Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Loud static scraping noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud static scraping noise when accelerating

I have a 2004 5.4 FX4. Recently my truck started making a static like noise when I floored the pedal and now it does this whenever I accelerate quickly. It does this in park and while driving. The closest thing I can describe it is if you’ve ever heard brake rotors being turned in a shop or an old car that’s radio would rev a static noise along with the cars acceleration. I wouldn’t call it a grinding sound but closer to an accelerating static or a scrape. My mechanic told me he couldn’t determine the cause without really tearing into things or spending a lot of time on it when I had it in for an oil change. Any clues on what it could be?
Old 11-05-2021, 11:33 AM

Received 837 Likes on 740 Posts

It does this in PARK also? Things that come to mind would be something belt driven like the ac compressor with a bearing going out, or a problem with the flexplate possibly.

I would maybe have a helper rev it while you listen with the hood open maybe you can at least get an idea what area it's coming from.

Anything drivetrain related I can think of wouldn't make noise in park unless it's internal to the transmission.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by needsmoarturbo
It does this in PARK also? Things that come to mind would be something belt driven like the ac compressor with a bearing going out, or a problem with the flexplate possibly.

I would maybe have a helper rev it while you listen with the hood open maybe you can at least get an idea what area it's coming from.

Anything drivetrain related I can think of wouldn't make noise in park unless it's internal to the transmission.

Yes it makes it in park. I just tested and it seems that the noise starts at 3000 RPM and gets more noticeable as RPMs go up
Old 11-06-2021, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pj1998
Yes it makes it in park. I just tested and it seems that the noise starts at 3000 RPM and gets more noticeable as RPMs go up
does it sound like it’s coming from under, around the transmission or in the engine bay? Also when the truck starts, does it turn over right away, another possibility could be the starter is still engaged, seen it happen before
Old 11-06-2021, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by WolfMxbee
does it sound like it’s coming from under, around the transmission or in the engine bay? Also when the truck starts, does it turn over right away, another possibility could be the starter is still engaged, seen it happen before

definitely from the engine bay and towards the back of it. I don’t think it’s the starter because it’s not really a grinding noise. Just a really soft scrape or static
Old 11-07-2021, 07:48 AM
Mark

Received 2,434 Likes on 2,131 Posts

Fly wheel ? torque converter ?
Old 11-07-2021, 10:48 AM

Received 837 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Fly wheel ? torque converter ?
I'm thinking possibly something with the flexplate, or exhaust / converter rattle.
I suggest the op go under with a rubber mallet and tap the cats listening for any rattle and check for any loose heat Shields.
The following users liked this post:
Pj1998 (11-08-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 02:33 PM

Received 483 Likes on 429 Posts

Could be heat shields but if not, I would take it to a reputable transmission shop and let them have a listen, hopefully they will let you listen also (while its up on the rack). My local Goodyear dealer does a good job identifying strange noise issues.
The following users liked this post:
Pj1998 (11-08-2021)

Quick Reply: Loud static scraping noise when accelerating