Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Interior Dome Light Problems...

Old 02-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interior Dome Light Problems...

I just bought my 2008 F-150 XLT Super Crew a few weeks ago, very clean truck for 10 years old. However one issue I am having is with instrument panel dimmer in high brightness position (not fully Up To Clicked ) when I unlock and open any door dome lights do not come on, however only on a couple occasions have the dome lights lit for less than 5-7 seconds and went out. Now, if I click the dimmer switch to Full UP position when I open any door the dome lights come on, and stay on until the timer circuit turns them off, Or I insert the ignition key and turn it to start position, and when I shut engine off and open door(s) the lights come on, Also what I have read the dimmer is suppose to be in the Full Up Clicked position to manually turn on dome and bed light and upper cab above rear window. I have cleaned and lubricated All door latch switches, and they do turn on Door Ajar light when ignition is on and a door is opened. I am open to ideas as to where and what tests I might need to do to diagnose my issues. I will also add that this evening I realized when dome lights come on, they sorta come on what I feel is slower than they should, and they sorta appear slightly dim. I did find that previous owner had wired a security alarm to a wire at headlight switch, but it was also cut loose but remains of wires just laying in behind switch panel. I ordered and replaced the headlight and dimmer switches assembly, my thinking was maybe the dimmer was related to dome lights not working as they should, new assembly did not solve the problem..

Any info on this topic be greatly appreciated....
Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Is it only the big center dome light ? Or the map lights too ? You do know the big dome has a switch on it for on/off/on with door open..
Old 02-19-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 3,010 Likes on 1,668 Posts

When you open the door with the keys out of the truck, does the odometer illuminate and shows the miles? Do chimes sound when you open the door with keys out and headlights on?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:41 AM

Default Interior Dome Light Problems

Originally Posted by techrep
Is it only the big center dome light ? Or the map lights too ? You do know the big dome has a switch on it for on/off/on with door open..
Niether map lights nor dome lights turn on, nor do they light when key is removed from ignition switch, and yes the headlight warning alarm sounds if they are left on when I open the door..

Also, I can manually turn on dome light and/or map lights with respective switches....

Last edited by Sportflyer; 02-19-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Fix that wiring you mentioned..
Old 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM

The headlight wire that I found at the headlight switch that had been spliced into was only wrapped spliced , no wires cut just a wrap that I removed, all is normal in that area now.

Thank you
Old 02-22-2018, 11:41 PM

Hey All, Well I am still being plagued by interior dome and map lights not illuminating when ANY door is opened. The lights will come on when doors are opened if the dimmer is rolled full up position, but this is really the position it should be in to manually turn on the Dome/Map/Rear Cab Light when needed, but when the dimmer is in that position the dome/map/cab lights will not stay on with doors closed. Tonight while driving, all of a sudden the Dome/Map/Rear Cab Lights came on, the dimmer was in the fully UP position, and I had to roll it down from the Up Clicked position to get the lights to turn off. Then when we got home, my wife opened right front passenger door first and the lights illuminated like they are suppose to, and after few cycles of the doors, they were back to acting up like they have been since I bought this truck few weeks ago.

NOTE: I did clean and soaked all 4 door latch and switches 4 days ago......wondering if I might be on to what the problem really is?
Also: I have not removed rear seat back to inspect the Body Security Module and related wiring and plugs yet.....

Any advise or input as to what I should check next..?
Thank you in advance.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Dome Light Problems...