Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Install a CB Radio - Ash Tray area

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Install a CB Radio - Ash Tray area

Low budget CB Radio and install

I picked up this Cobra 29 LTD Classic on Craig's list the other day. I thought I would install it in the dash in place of the ash tray.
This is a low budget install I have a total of just under $60.00 in the CB install. I was too cheap to even buy the metal. I had to buy one can of paint. and the radio.
Ok, let's see? I found a side case from a computer sitting in the garage. the metal was extra thick (old case) I cut it up with tin snips. (very hard metal). It is going to be strong.
I used the bench grinder and files to shape the face plate I was making. After many times of putting the face plate in and out of the dash until the face plate fit. The Cobra 29 LTD was a little long because of the frame brace inside. The only things connected to the frame brace were some wire, I would guess the stock radio used this brace. I had to remove it. Now everything seemed to fit so next I painted the face plate. After it dried I installed the CB and wired it.
Attached Thumbnails Install a CB Radio - Ash Tray area-img_2884.jpg   Install a CB Radio - Ash Tray area-img_2892.jpg   Install a CB Radio - Ash Tray area-img_2895.jpg  
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
jetpuck73 (03-05-2014)
Old 06-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Devil's advocate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks good. I have a Uniden PC78 Elite sitting around. I'd like to install it but the only thing holding me back is antenna. I have a Wilson 5000 magnet mount which works fantastic but I don't want to put a magnet on. But I don't want to drill any holes either. What did you do for an antenna?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by JP2085
Looks good. I have a Uniden PC78 Elite sitting around. I'd like to install it but the only thing holding me back is antenna. I have a Wilson 5000 magnet mount which works fantastic but I don't want to put a magnet on. But I don't want to drill any holes either. What did you do for an antenna?
I am going with a roof mount. I wanted the wilson but I was told that there is a metal brace under the center line of the roof. They showed me this other type which I can't remember the name. I need it tuned which is included with the install. (Next friday). The ant comes with a cap for when or if I take the ant off. I tried looking on the internet about the roof issue. had no success.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 PM
SoCal Thread Shredder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo larry check out mine!

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/cb-install-pics-54009/

i just havent used it yet so i dont know if it works lol
Old 06-25-2010, 11:05 PM

thats dirty.
im a fan of the custom dashboard.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by UnleashedFord
yo larry check out mine!

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/cb-install-pics-54009/

i just havent used it yet so i dont know if it works lol
I see so maybe we will be able to chat on the desert run.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by castaway
thats dirty.
im a fan of the custom dashboard.
I don't like the wood grain against the black piece, so If I can find a black face for the center dash around the radio It will look better. I think FX4 or the STX had them.

I guess you don't like it. where would you put a CB, if you need to install one?

Also I left my glove box intact so that it can be put back in.
but still I like how it fits. Pretty custom.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 AM
SoCal Thread Shredder

Originally Posted by Larryw1
I see so maybe we will be able to chat on the desert run.
haha yeah then i will be able to see if it works or not since i havent tested it out yet
Old 06-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Auto-illiterate.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those both look great. I just got my HAM radio license and am looking for a mobile unit to install in the truck.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Larryw1
I don't like the wood grain against the black piece, so If I can find a black face for the center dash around the radio It will look better. I think FX4 or the STX had them.

I guess you don't like it. where would you put a CB, if you need to install one?

Also I left my glove box intact so that it can be put back in.
but still I like how it fits. Pretty custom.
No, I love it! When I said that it's dirty I meant it's sick!
I would love to put a cb there, but I have cupholders. But I probably won't ever get a cb, I have no need.

I don't think the wood grain looks bad. I have the black one and would be willing to trade if it was that bad. (I don't mind which one I have.) The only problem is, our buttons are all different, so you'd have to take all of them out. You could always get another one online somewhere.

Quick Reply: Install a CB Radio - Ash Tray area