Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

I was looking for constructive feedback...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was looking for constructive feedback...

rather than a flame fest the post about the back up sensors turned into.

I value the back up sensor as a tool to help make sure I don't run over something/ someone that darts behind my vehicle that was not visible using my mirrors.
I know how to drive, I don't hit stuff.

However, kids and animals move quick and you take your eyes off for a split second and next thing you know, tragedy. It happens and has happened to our family. Our dog was out of the way, then she was in the way and my wife never saw her behind and below her reverse line of site in our explorer.
I will never forget the look of absolute anguish on her face as I picked up our whimpering dog and rushed her to the vet to have her die in our arms.

So, the assumption that those of us who like to use safety tools in our vehicle somehow makes us poorer drivers who hit stuff, is below the belt stuff.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 228 Likes on 203 Posts

Yes, that thread did get ugly quick, however, I don't think it was due to your initial question, but more the cascading of negative responses toward a subsequent post by another member. I'm glad to see that thread has been closed.

There are many situations such as you mention, where it's not so much about striking fixed objects, but objects that have moved and are out of the driver's line-of-sight.

So little time is spent in Reverse, yet so many accidents occur while backing.

For the 'infallible' drivers, that type of sensor would still be on hot stand-by, watching and waiting for that one time when something is overlooked or has moved before offering its help.

Even the great Wallenda family of high-wire-walking fame could have used a safety net every now and then.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dalman
rather than a flame fest the post about the back up sensors turned into.

I value the back up sensor as a tool to help make sure I don't run over something/ someone that darts behind my vehicle that was not visible using my mirrors.
I know how to drive, I don't hit stuff.

However, kids and animals move quick and you take your eyes off for a split second and next thing you know, tragedy. It happens and has happened to our family. Our dog was out of the way, then she was in the way and my wife never saw her behind and below her reverse line of site in our explorer.
I will never forget the look of absolute anguish on her face as I picked up our whimpering dog and rushed her to the vet to have her die in our arms.

So, the assumption that those of us who like to use safety tools in our vehicle somehow makes us poorer drivers who hit stuff, is below the belt stuff.

howdy doody....I posted intially that if you can unplug the harness on the backside of the sensor, spray them down with electrical contact cleaner and put dieletric grease on the contacts. Since you mentioned that it becomes an issue in damp environments, I would check the harness contacts first and foremost.

BTW, I have reverse sensors in my truck and love em.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 PM

I saw that post, thanks for the advice "obusnizzle" . I will try that.
cheers,
P
Old 10-29-2007, 05:29 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the site daleman

Ford issued a tsb on the back up sensors for the 04 and 05s. Here is the tsb 05-6-4 It talks about how to check them. If it's anything more than what obusnizzle said to check you'll need to have the dealer look at it. Unless you know somebody that has either of the two tools (NGS or WDS) that are needed to access the pids to see what's the cause.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you are still having problems with the sensors, or want a better system, look into backup cameras. they keep getting smaller, better, and cheaper every year, and it sounds like it would fit the bill fairly well.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:14 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty
if you are still having problems with the sensors, or want a better system, look into backup cameras. they keep getting smaller, better, and cheaper every year, and it sounds like it would fit the bill fairly well.
what Ty said. Look in my gallery. I have one in my truck with the reverse sensors, helps with hooking up the trailer too.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Blue Angel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had those sensors on my truck. My mother-in-laws Boxer, Rocky, likes to run inbetween the cars as well. We also had a little kid in her neighborhood that would do the same thing, He fianlly did get hit by his older brother as he was backing out. It only takes a second for something to happen like that. Ohio is so backwards.....here it is illegal to back out of one's driveway. If you get into an accident, even if it really is not your fault, you will get a ticket.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Glad to see this thread is more civil...

I can drive my truck. But I was seeking someone's experience with aftermarket sensors that could be used for the front. I know some of the newer cars have them for parking. At the sod/rock farm where I frequent I need all the room for maneuvering I can get while pulling a trailer. I was figuring sensors were cheaper than fixing a fender/bumper gouge. My truck sometimes reminds of driving the old vet with the long nose, if not careful, you are there before you realize it. Not wanting to hang a "bus mirror" out there on the front, I was thinking that sensors would come in handy. Just something that would beep steady when ever so close.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I know what you mean. Sometimes when I'm pulling into a parking space and it's a small car in front of me the rear of the car will dissappear. I have never hit anyone, but front sensors would be nice to kind of tell me I'm about to run over someone else's car.

Quick Reply: I was looking for constructive feedback...