Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hydrogen Cell

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Hydrogen Cell

Has anyone heard of a "hydrogen cell"? A guy at work was talking to me about it and claimed that he had one on his 90 F150 and it improved his MPG by an average of 6 gallons per tank. His MPGs were sitting at 11 and he then averaged 17. He said it also only ran him about $20 to make and install. He said the two biggest things are it has to be as close to the throttle body as possible, and it should have an on/off switch so there's no chance of explosion.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Has anyone ever done it and what are the experiences? Any drawbacks? Thanks in Advance!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Snake oil.

Of course the guy who put one on his truck claims miraculous results, he doesn't want to look like an idiot.

Yes, Hydrogen combusts.

No, the amount of hydrogen you put into the fuel system with one of these toys is not going to change your MPG in any significant manner.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by gone postal
Snake oil.

Of course the guy who put one on his truck claims miraculous results, he doesn't want to look like an idiot.

Yes, Hydrogen combusts.

No, the amount of hydrogen you put into the fuel system with one of these toys is not going to change your MPG in any significant manner.
Cool. Thanks for the heads up, dude!!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbcoach
Has anyone heard of a "hydrogen cell"? A guy at work was talking to me about it and claimed that he had one on his 90 F150 and it improved his MPG by an average of 6 gallons per tank. His MPGs were sitting at 11 and he then averaged 17. He said it also only ran him about $20 to make and install. He said the two biggest things are it has to be as close to the throttle body as possible, and it should have an on/off switch so there's no chance of explosion. Has anyone ever heard of this? Has anyone ever done it and what are the experiences? Any drawbacks? Thanks in Advance!
If it was that easy, don't you think ford would have done that instead of going to an aluminum body to gain mpg's? I'm sure it would have been cheaper....
Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

There are actually a few sites on the net that sell starter kits and have a lot of literature about how it improves mileage and emissions. Mad science yo! I knew a dude who built and installed one in his truck(old Toyota) and for a few months he claimed great improvements. I don't know exactly why but a few months later he pulled in to work in a new mustang. Maybe he saved enough money to buy the stang from all he was saving with the hydrogen kit. Or maybe his truck blew up. I never was interested enough to ask.
The following users liked this post:
Fbcoach (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

I believe they're called HHO generators or something like that. I don't know too much about them but I read about it once years back and it does sound like snake oil to me.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I made one of them before while I was working in west Virginia. Make it out of a lexan container some bolts and washers and some 10 gage wire. Put it in and started to drive. Well I make it to about the 3 hill befor the heat from the motor and the heat from the "boiling water" was too much for the lexan and it melted and let the bolts touch which welded them together and disintegrate about 2 feet of wire. I quickly removed and went back to working on a flux capacitor.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 05jakev
I made one of them before while I was working in west Virginia. Make it out of a lexan container some bolts and washers and some 10 gage wire. Put it in and started to drive. Well I make it to about the 3 hill befor the heat from the motor and the heat from the "boiling water" was too much for the lexan and it melted and let the bolts touch which welded them together and disintegrate about 2 feet of wire. I quickly removed and went back to working on a flux capacitor.
I started a flux capacitor, as well.... How's yours coming along?

When he was telling me about it I figured there's was NO WAY it could possibly work.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I started a flux capacitor, as well.... How's yours coming along? When he was telling me about it I figured there's was NO WAY it could possibly work.
You must be referring to the Ford 5.4 3V.....
Old 12-12-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I started a flux capacitor, as well.... How's yours coming along?

When he was telling me about it I figured there's was NO WAY it could possibly work.

I got the lights to come on when you start the truck lol.

Name:  flux-capacitor-1.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  13.9 KB

Quick Reply: Hydrogen Cell