Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to TDC for each cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts
Default How to TDC for each cylinder?

I need to really clean out the carbon in my spark plug holes, and I would like to raise each cylinder piston to the top so I can't accidentally drop my brush in there.

How do I do that?? What do I turn? How do I know it's at the top for each cylinder?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure I understand why you have to, will the plugs not go back in?

Consider using this set that would prevent you from dropping the brush:
http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-...-pc-69020.html
I bought this to use cleaning the intake ports in the heads of my BMW, and I must have used the locking hex extension a hundred times since on other items, including my impact.

Make sure you blow/vac out the cylinders to get the loosened carbon back out. Don't leave a puddle of carb cleaner in the cylinder.

If you need to ID TDC without pulling the intake, you could grab a cheap borescope. I've got this one and it works as advertised for $20:
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-14-2017, 10:10 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts

Ok cool. I ordered this one last night seems to be very similar. to the one you posted As long as that **** doesn't fall into the cylinder I'm golden.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-14-2017, 10:53 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 634 Likes on 570 Posts

Default Small wooden dowel used to tell TDC

If you have electric fans its easy to turn crank bolt clockwise . I am not lucky enough to have electric fans which makes it so much easier to work on engine front .
Other than that, you can bump starter with plugs out to find ones near TDC . Carb cleaner dissolves carbon and it evaporates . You can turn over motor with starter with plugs out to blow stuff out of there . Of course blow sockets out before pulling plugs .
One of the factory TSBs have you soak plug socket with mc carb cleaner after you turn plug 1/8 th of a turn trying to get cleaner to carbon to release plug tip. Carb cleaner will burn out pretty quick or evaporate , I give it some time . .
A simple rag on a wire coat hanger like a bore cleaner for a gun is what some use with carb cleaner or pb blaster may do it .I had been dripping carb cleaner in there a little at a time to soften it and then it would burn out .
Old 03-14-2017, 06:21 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
I need to really clean out the carbon in my spark plug holes, and I would like to raise each cylinder piston to the top so I can't accidentally drop my brush in there.

How do I do that?? What do I turn? How do I know it's at the top for each cylinder?

Thanks.

I was able to get a 1/2 socket / ratchet on the crank bolt on the harmonic balancer and get a couple of clicks at a time. Engine rotates plenty easy with ALL plugs out. I just stuck a long slender screw driver down the spark plug hole to touch top of the piston. TDC on either stroke is all you're interested in and the screwdriver would quit RISING UP right where I wanted it.

Ever since my first time - I have done like @redfishtd suggested and not worry about TDC. Just crimp a piece of rag on a straight piece of coat hanger wire, soak it in carb cleaner, mount it in my battery powered drill and give her hell with several generous doses of carb cleaner, or until it comes back out clean. I really think THAT would be sufficient even for the first time if one is really carboned up and twisted off several plugs.

PS. I am an avid supporter of this procedure to eliminate possibility of fracturing the internal ceramic of new plugs on re-installation. Let us know after you are through how it goes.

Good Luck