Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to properly reinstall transmission levers after changing EPC solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 01:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to properly reinstall transmission levers after changing EPC solenoid

Hi everyone, I just changed the EPC solenoid and accumulators etc in my 4R70E transmission 2005 f159 4.6 V8 2WD. When I was going through the process, I had the front wheels on ramps and the vehicle in park. When I took off the neutral safety switch and the shaft that goes through it the vehicle moved back about an inch and seemed to move out of park. I'm not sure what gear etc it's in at the moment because the gear springed lever next to the valve body isn't able to go back to the original tooth mark.

I'm installing a new neutral safety switch and reinstalling the shaft that the neutral safety switch goes on to but I'm not sure how to get everything to go back to working and being set up correctly since the truck moved slightly and isn't quite in park. I know how to get the neutral safety switch to line up for neutral reading with the tiny markings but I'm worried I'll have the vehicle off it's great selection since I think I should have probably put the truck in neutral and not park before I started the tear down.
Anyone knows how to proceed to make sure I go back up with correctly working gear selection?

I can send pics if needed
Old 01-31-2023, 02:49 PM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuhnominon
Hi everyone, I just changed the EPC solenoid and accumulators etc in my 4R70E transmission 2005 f159 4.6 V8 2WD. When I was going through the process, I had the front wheels on ramps and the vehicle in park. When I took off the neutral safety switch and the shaft that goes through it the vehicle moved back about an inch and seemed to move out of park. I'm not sure what gear etc it's in at the moment because the gear springed lever next to the valve body isn't able to go back to the original tooth mark. I'm installing a new neutral safety switch and reinstalling the shaft that the neutral safety switch goes on to but I'm not sure how to get everything to go back to working and being set up correctly since the truck moved slightly and isn't quite in park. I know how to get the neutral safety switch to line up for neutral reading with the tiny markings but I'm worried I'll have the vehicle off it's great selection since I think I should have probably put the truck in neutral and not park before I started the tear down.Anyone knows how to proceed to make sure I go back up with correctly working gear selection? I can send pics if needed
put the truck In neutral to install. Align the two dashes. Just manually move the little shift lever on the side of the trans
Old 01-31-2023, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SCORGE
put the truck In neutral to install. Align the two dashes. Just manually move the little shift lever on the side of the trans
I think it may be best for me to send pics to explain what happened. I'll try what you suggested, which is what I had planned to do when I started the project, but I didn't expect the transmission to be able to move beyond park, I didn't know it could move past park. So Now I can't get the gear lever on inside of the transmission with the teeth to move back to the original position, but I'll try your method which is what you are usually supposed to do and see if it works.. I'll put pics in the reply when I get home. Thanks for this...fingers crossed!

Last edited by Fuhnominon; 01-31-2023 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:21 PM
SSDD

I think it may be best for me to send pics to explain what happened. I'll try what you suggested, which is what I had planned to do when I started the project, but I didn't expect the transmission to be able to move beyond park, I didn't know it could move past park. So Now I can't get the gear lever on inside of the transmission with the teeth to move back to the original position, but I'll try your method which is what you are usually supposed to do and see if it works.. I'll put pics in the reply when I get home. Thanks for this...fingers crossed!
if the linkage from the column is removed and you can't manually move the little lever, something may have bound internally. But yeah, post pics
The following users liked this post:
Fuhnominon (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 03:51 PM

if the linkage from the column is removed and you can't manually move the little lever, something may have bound internally. But yeah, post pics

Old 01-31-2023, 03:59 PM
SSDD

I'm not seeing anything that's jumping out at me as wrong and I've had my valve body apart quite a few times. May have to take things apart and see what's binding.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:29 PM

I'm not seeing anything that's jumping out at me as wrong and I've had my valve body apart quite a few times. May have to take things apart and see what's binding.
Maybe it's just the weight of the vehicle as it's on ramps. So when I put back on neutral safety switch and gear selector hopefully it moves back in place via shifter I'm probably not string enough with my hands alone
Old 01-31-2023, 04:35 PM
SSDD

Maybe it's just the weight of the vehicle as it's on ramps. So when I put back on neutral safety switch and gear selector hopefully it moves back in place via shifter I'm probably not string enough with my hands alone
from what I remember, moving gears should be easy. Unless all that weight is pushing on the parking pawl.
The following users liked this post:
Fuhnominon (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 05:09 PM

from what I remember, moving gears should be easy. Unless all that weight is pushing on the parking pawl.
I'll have more info once I install the new neutral safety switch then the gear selector to it. About to go under the pickup now to do that. Fingers crossed and I have good news for you
Old 02-01-2023, 12:46 AM

Ok guys, an update as promised. So the issue I was worried about went flawlessly. Installed the new neutral switch by first putting everything in neutral, lining up lines etc and the gear shift in the cabin never moved so smoothly. But, now I have a huge problem....the vehicle has gone into limp mode with the following codes. Anyone has any idea what could cause this issue? P0720 output shaft speed sensor circuit fault - P0722 output shaft speed sensor no signal - P2106 throttle actuator control system forced limited power - P1780 overdrive cancel switch out of self test range

Quick Reply: How to properly reinstall transmission levers after changing EPC solenoid