Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hood Question on Highway

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Question on Highway

ok, so I've had my 05 for a couple of weeks now and drive the highway to work, but it's only about 10 miles and early in the morning so not much traffic.

First time on the highway last night for a 2.5 hour drive all Highway. I cruised about 70 and it was windy.

I noticed when I got behind a semi, the hood would really start fluttering, so much that it concerned me enough to back way off. I've done this drive in many vehicles felt the normall air pressure behind a semi, but never had the hood issue happen.

Just curious if this is to be expected with this truck. I got home and verified everything looked good.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 590 Posts

That's kind odd... Mine never did that.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hm.... check all the components of the hood. Like the striker, make sure that it locks all the way in...

to save on gas, i always draft behind a semi when im on the highway. I never had that happen to me

EDIT: did you by any chance check out the carfax before you bought it. and is the title "clear" and not "salvage"

Last edited by jazar10; 10-31-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 AM

Yeah, everything is good on the title.

I'll check all of the components to see if anything is off. I can grab the hood and try to shake, it, but it doesn't move.

Thanks guys, just wanted to make certain I wasn't chasing something that's normal.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 AM

Common - dealer has a tsb on it. they tighten the hinges and thread fuel line into the rubber weather seal around the cowl to correct.

Mine does the same thing and has since the day it was new.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jazar10
hm.... check all the components of the hood. Like the striker, make sure that it locks all the way in...

to save on gas, i always draft behind a semi when im on the highway. I never had that happen to me

EDIT: did you by any chance check out the carfax before you bought it. and is the title "clear" and not "salvage"
That is not very safe have you ever seen a recap fly off an 18 wheeler.It will f up you day or worse!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by jazar10
to save on gas, i always draft behind a semi when im on the highway."
I drive a tractor trailer for a living...your just one of the d#ckheads we as drivers have to deal with on a daily basis that has the potential to cause a traffic fatality. Do you tailgate with your family members or friends in the truck? Have you ever had to opportunity to see what happens to a vehicle and it's occupants when it crashes under the back of a trailer? The site is not pretty and is a lasting visual in your mind. The truck usually has a bent ICC bumper and you go to the morgue. ALWAYS keep this in mind! If you can't see the trucks mirrors the driver can't see you! Use your head when you drive. For the gallon of gas you save, if you even save that much, is it worth risking your safety and the safety of others? Use your head when you drive dumb ***!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

yea the tsb states to the check the torque on the hood bolts(18 ft/lbs i think) and put a piece of fuel line inside the wiper cowl hood rubber, after you check it to make sure it is contacting the hood.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:16 PM

mine does the same thing
Old 10-31-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BJV269SS
I drive a tractor trailer for a living...your just one of the d#ckheads we as drivers have to deal with on a daily basis that has the potential to cause a traffic fatality. Do you tailgate with your family members or friends in the truck? Have you ever had to opportunity to see what happens to a vehicle and it's occupants when it crashes under the back of a trailer? The site is not pretty and is a lasting visual in your mind. The truck usually has a bent ICC bumper and you go to the morgue. ALWAYS keep this in mind! If you can't see the trucks mirrors the driver can't see you! Use your head when you drive. For the gallon of gas you save, if you even save that much, is it worth risking your safety and the safety of others? Use your head when you drive dumb ***!
Ditto. Ive read of a few people on here and other forums that think this is an OK act.
For safety sake and just to pass on some info, this deserves a thread of its own.

Quick Reply: Hood Question on Highway