Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

High beams problems

Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High beams problems

I searched and maybe I skipped it but I didn't exactly see what I was looking for.

The other night after I got my trans flushed (which btw fixed the hard 1-2 shift) that morning I was driving and when to put on my brights and got ZERO lights.

Both beams flickered and went out. Low beams w/ fogs still work in auto and manually turning them on. High beams do not work in any setting.

When in auto and I pull back on the stick flash the high beams my low beams turn off and my fogs flash.

I checked all fuses related to head lights or high beams and they were fine. Checked the relay listed R03 for high beams by switching it with another relay on the panel that is identical (same pn#) and got nothing. Bought a new relay anyway from autozone and still didn't fix it.

WTF MATE?

edit: Also, the high beam icon stays lit on the dash when low and highs are engaged.

Last edited by Justin251; 09-27-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you find a fix?

I'm interested because I have the same problem. Everything went totally dead a couple of weeks ago on my way back to Houston from Savannah. Happened in the hotel parking lot when I went to move the truck. Had it towed to the dealer next morning and they said it was just the battery. Installed a new one and I was on my way.

Saturday I was riding out in the country and turned on the Hi beams and had nothing. First time I had a reason to use them since the battery replacement.Did some more troubleshooting yesterday and the symptoms are as you describe. Turn on Hi beams , Lo beams and Driving lights go out. No His at all. When I flip back to low the Lo beams come on but I have to cycle the switch to get the driving lights back on.

Please let me know if you found the problem. Like you, I replaced the Hi beam relay with no change in symptom. If you don't have a solution, I'll be taking it to the dealer next week.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 PM

Might be a dumb question but did you check to see if you had power and ground at the bulb or if the high beam filament is ok by ohming it out.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Negaive. When the battery incident happened at the Hotel in Slidell, the HB relay was buzzing. Since the problem is that my HB isn't functioning I went for the relay hoping for an easy fix. Also, what are the odds of both bulbs blowing at the same time. That said, I will be checking them before taking it to Ford.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:24 AM
5.4L Powerstroke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the OEM plugs. Make sure they are clean and plugged all the way in. Then if that fails, (might seem unlikely or silly) but check the bulbs... If the high beam has burnt out. Assuming you have halogen bulbs.

That's where I'd start, then if nothing helps I would take it back to the place I had the work done and see if they had ideas?

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 AM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It sounds like the switch Hi/low beam and wiper may be an issue.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Default problem with lights

Originally Posted by diamonbird
It sounds like the switch Hi/low beam and wiper may be an issue.
check the recalls re ford trucks............there is an issue with a certain make of lights that were installed on ford trucks...read it yesterday
Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was one headlight highbeam out. Weird to me. All of my other vehicles would still let you turn on your highbeams but one would obviously be out.

Oh well. lol
Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 4X4F150
Might be a dumb question but did you check to see if you had power and ground at the bulb or if the high beam filament is ok by ohming it out.

or check the switch out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High beams problems