Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help, Loss of Hazards, Turns signals and brake lights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help, Loss of Hazards, Turns signals and brake lights!!!

Hey F150forum,I have a 2006 ford F150, this morning on my way home from work,I noticed that my blinkers didn't work,then I saw that my stop lights aren't working either,so I pull to the side of road and go to turn on my hazard lights and they didn't work either! So i just drove home carefully from there, when I get home I played with the lights and they all come on, but here's what i found out...
  • Brake lights turn on,but don't light up when I step on the brake pedal
  • Turn signals turn on but they dont flash
  • The dash arrows for the turn signals dont light up or make the clicking noise
  • Hazard lights completely stopped working

So does anybody know what could cause this?, I love this truck and the fact that I can't drive it is a real downer, Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 AM

Please guys, any help or ideas are welcome, I have no idea where to begin,and I can't really be without my daily driver
Old 07-07-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First thing I would check is the fuse, it could be the flasher relay itself. But what gets me is your brake lights don't work. They should be independent of you flashers.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:16 PM

Ok thanks ill check that today, I did some more testing today, I moved the steering wheel up and down to see if the MFS was loose but that didnt work,horn still works, turned the truck on and stepped on the brakes but no luck.Hazards no go.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

besides the fuses and the flasher relay, check the lightbulbs itself. maybe they are getting bad, rusted and doing a false contact or something.
you are not using leds in the stop lights or turn signals, right?
check the brake switch in the brake pedal, maybe the connector is loose or something is malfunctioning there.
also, somebody suggested before to review the trailer connector as well. as it could be doing a short circuit. check the wires , check the connector.

Last edited by picaflor; 07-07-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by picaflor
besides the fuses and the flasher relay, check the lightbulbs itself. maybe they are getting bad, rusted and doing a false contact or something.
you are not using leds in the stop lights or turn signals, right?
check the brake switch in the brake pedal, maybe the connector is loose or something is malfunctioning there.
also, somebody suggested before to review the trailer connector as well. as it could be doing a short circuit. check the wires , check the connector.

I am using leds in my stop lights,but I used the right load resistors and they worked fine for months,what I did recently was bought a 3rd brake led light that when i hooked and go test lights it didn't work,so i disconnected and put the stock one back on,but there's no bulb in the high mount stop light,and the next day is when I noticed the act funny
Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bulb

Put the bulb in there is a ground short in the system, also clean all sockets etc,also use a dielectric grease on each one.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Roll Tide

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen when I connected to a trailer with too much resistance in the ground. But it solved itself when I cleaned the ground on the trailer and everything worked. I thought it was so weird that the truck can by affected by the trailer. Even my trucks cruise control wouldn't work with the trailer connected. I'm not sure how the trucks grounds are for the lights but maybe a bad ground has to much resistance.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Ok guys, definitely going to put a bulb back in that socket,but whats the best way to clean it first?

Secondly where is the ground for the trailer? and finally how do I open my fuse box? I removed the panel but I cant figure out how to open it?(don't want to break the cover)
Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellside
Ok guys, definitely going to put a bulb back in that socket,but whats the best way to clean it first?

Secondly where is the ground for the trailer? and finally how do I open my fuse box? I removed the panel but I cant figure out how to open it?(don't want to break the cover)
contact cleaner

just dont get it in the paint.

white is ground:

and just like this:

Last edited by picaflor; 07-07-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Help, Loss of Hazards, Turns signals and brake lights!!!